• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police want to take your DNA for speeding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police want to take your DNA for speeding

another reason not to speed

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2183105.ece
    Police are seeking powers to take DNA samples from suspects on the streets and for non-imprisonable offences such as speeding and dropping litter.

The demand for a huge expansion of powers to take DNA comes as a government watchdog announced the first public inquiry into the national DNA database.

There is growing concern among MPs and civil liberties groups about the number of children under 10 and young black men on the database — the biggest in the world. But a number of police forces in England and Wales are backing proposals that would add millions more samples to it.
    I see that would make it 'fairer'
    The Association of Chief Police Officers gave a warning, however, that allowing police to take samples for non-recordable offences — crimes for which offenders cannot be imprisoned — might be perceived as indicative of “the increasing criminalisation of the generally law-abiding public”.

Support for an extension of police powers to take samples was disclosed yesterday in responses to a Home Office consultation paper that was published this year. “A number of respondents welcomed the ability to reduce the threshold, including to the extent of allowing for the taking of fingerprints, DNA and footwear impressions for non-recordable offences for the purpose of offender identification and searching databases,” said a Home Office paper summarising responses to the consultation.

It added: “The second issue relates to the taking of fingerprints, photographs and samples on the street. This was welcomed at an operational level as a means of increasing officer confidence in knowing who they are dealing with and enabling them to deal more effectively with the incident at the scene
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

oh dear.

Comment

Nowt to say. Really there is nothing to say that is not TOTALLY superfluous to say but this thread deserved to go back up.

What society truly needs is a purge of everyone in charge. It then needs a purge of all the wierdos who would like to be in charge Then all the dependent sorts. And the criminal crap. Eventually we would get a perfect society in which no rules or laws were needed because it would be full of perfect human beings who needed none.

It would consist of ME. Hooraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Nowt to say. Really there is nothing to say that is not TOTALLY superfluous to say but this thread deserved to go back up.

What society truly needs is a purge of everyone in charge. It then needs a purge of all the wierdos who would like to be in charge Then all the dependent sorts. And the criminal carp. Eventually we would get a perfect society in which no rules or laws were needed because it would be full of perfect human beings who needed none.

It would consist of ME. Hooraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
        I thought we had agreed on the order

1:Politicians
        2:Guardian writers
        3:Guardian readers
        4:Anyone who works at the BBC

Comment

Once again, oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie000 View Post
            Once again, oh dear.
            you forgot the tm

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Bump
                Why bump this thread? It clearly had died. No-one cares that civil liberties are almost zero. As long as we all appear to be better off each year its fine.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk View Post
                  Why bump this thread? It clearly had died. No-one cares that civil liberties are almost zero. As long as we all appear to be better off each year its fine.
                  It seemed strange that a speeding fines increasing thread should warrant more outrage than being put on the DNA database...

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    It seemed strange that a speeding fines increasing thread should warrant more outrage than being put on the DNA database...
                    At first sight yes. But do remember the majority of people are stupid. I bet there are alot of sun/mirror readers here. If reader is the right word.

The head of f4j gets almost no support trying to enable children to see their parents. Yet he starts a campaign to save a local bus service http://www.saveourbus.org/ and people are falling over themselves to help.

I just wish I hd fewer morals and could take advantage of people's stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                    X