• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racist Hairdresser Sued

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racist Hairdresser Sued

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...arf/article.do

This hairdresser is clearly racist, Bushra looks so hot, hip and happening, at least if you have just arrived in a time machine with the last setting being 1950s Iran.

That just reminded me, Ugly Betty is on tonight, who fancies her sister Hilda?

About time everyone stood up agains discrimination. If the stupid hairdresser rejected the applicant for any other reason (fabricated a reason) like most employers do, she would have covered her a$$ ... but to be so audacious and barefaced about rejecting an applicant means you deserve to be taken to court. Hope it would be a lesson to other racist.

Comment

Not really sure about this one.

As members of a hopefully rational society that believes in individual freedom we should stand against the attitudes and beliefs of Islam which totally suck (and there are very many of them, it is an insane creed) but never thought what people wear is that important. You can't believe in freedom on the one hand and dictate what people should wear on the other unless there is some very sound reason.

Hairdressers should promote hair? Dunno really. If the profits of the employer are affected maybe they have a right to set such restrictions, just not convinced it is really true. Can't say when having a haircut I have ever given a passing glance to the hairdresser's hair.

Maybe this question is a WOMEN'S THING. I shall agree with whatever SA says.

PS The women concerned is UGLY. We have therefore decided against her.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 9 November 2007, 18:52.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Oh here we go...

Read the comments on the page before you post SD - she's trying it on - If the case makes it through court it'll be a triumph of ignorance over common sense.

Comment

Interesting that she also sued for unspecified sum of lost of earnings. This sounds a complete rubbish as she surely did not quit her previous job expecting guaranteed new job there and suddenly did not get it.

Comment

Apparently it was really because she was so minging, but the hairdresser wanted to spare her feelings.

Doh!
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Its the principal - if someone rejects my job application because I don't fit the image, whether the image they promote is slim/cute/blonde/fat/short/tall/clothes are designer or not designer then this is discrimination.

For example if the over-weight amongst you apply for a role/contract and you were rejected openly because you are fat, and this doesn't fit the image then this employer deserve to be sued, not for the money alone but because its our duty to stop narrow minded people from pigeon-holing others

Whether this case goes to court or not, am happy because the rejected applicant went public - rejecting someone because she is wearing a scarf/hat etc is discrimination.

Comment

So if I apply to be a lady's bra model and am rejected because I have a hairy chest, am male, have no tits, and thus do not fit the image - can I sue?

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
                  So if I apply to be a lady's bra model and am rejected because I have a hairy chest, am male, have no tits, and thus do not fit the image - can I sue?
                  NO in this instance you are rejected cuz you can't do the job!! you don't have the required criteria, not because you have hair chest, if you had fabulous bosoms that show off the bra as heaven sent product, then they will wax your chest hair and let you do the modelling

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
                    NO in this instance you are rejected cuz you can't do the job!! you don't have the required criteria, not because you have hair chest, if you had fabulous bosoms that show off the bra as heaven sent product, then they will wax your chest hair and let you do the modelling
                    A hairdresser wearing a scarf won't get much repeat business. I.e. her headscarf is directly affecting her ability to do the job.

Comment

Working...
                    X