• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Symantec

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symantec

I am fed up with their f***ing pop ups telling me to renew my subscription and trying to scare me with news of all the latest viruses. How do I know if their scaremongering has any basis of truth or reality and how do I know that it is not hem that is downloading viruses to my computer?

I have in the past tried to sell my services to these people only to be treated as if I am lower than ahem a contractor in the pecking order of scum.

Are these people for real? are they truly acting in my interests? or are they parasitical scumbags who themselves write all the viruses in order to screw money out of every poor sod that knows nothing about IT?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Scrap it and go with something free.

ZoneAlarm for firewall; AVG free for antivirus.

Unless you use Windows 64 bit, in which case good luck finding a decent, free firewall.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Google AntiVir, the best there is.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        ZoneAlarm for firewall; AVG free for antivirus.

Niether are free for business use, just personal use.

We use AVG Pro for our business computers, costs about 30 quid per computer for a 2 year licence.......

Comment

Agents...

I am fed up with their f***ing phone calls always fishing for leads and trying to scare me into giving them information with news its in my best interest. How do I know if their scaremongering has any basis of truth or reality and how do I know that it is not them that are screwing with the clients?

I have in the past tried to sell my services to these people only to be treated as if I am lower than ahem atw in the pecking order of scum.

Are these people for real? are they truly acting in my interests? or are they parasitical scumbags who themselves write all the fake job ads in order to screw money out of every poor sod that knows nothing about recruitment?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I am fed up with their f***ing pop ups telling me to renew my subscription and trying to scare me with the news of all the latest viruses. How do I know if their scaremongering has any basis of truth or reality and how do I know that it is not them that is downloading viruses to my computer?

I have in the past tried to sell my services to these people only to be treated as if I am lower than them a contractor in the pecking order of scum.

Are these people for real? are they truly acting in my interests? or are they parasitical scumbags who themselves write all the viruses in order to screw money out of every poor sod that knows nothing about IT?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                They aren't. This whole virus propaganda is a big scam IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
                  They aren't. This whole virus propaganda is a big scam IMO.
                  No it isn't. If you switch your computer off the Internet and get no emails, then you should be fine, however if you are online then the danger is more than real.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    No it isn't. If you switch your computer off the Internet and get no emails, then you should be fine, however if you are online then the danger is more than real.
                    Viruses are out there but to avoid/minimise damage one needs to have

1. Regular backups
                    2. A properly configured firewall
                    3. Regular software/OS updates

If you have those 3, it just doesn't make sense to have extra (usually crappy) antivirus software running on your machine 24/7 slowing it down.

Comment

Working...
                    X