• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning to drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to drive

My eldest has reached 17, the bad news is that she is learning to drive. Apart from the stress of getting in a car with someone who hasnt got a clue, what is it with this ridiculous way of steering by feeding the steering wheel in such a clumsy manner. She has already hit a central reservation because she couldnt steer quickly enough.
    Does anyone ever look at the way driving is taught? It was the same way when I learned not that long ago
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Is this what I've got to look forward to next year, when my eldest is 17?

I let her have a go with a golf buggy in the summer and she drove it straight into a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      My eldest has reached 17, the bad news is that she is learning to drive. Apart from the stress of getting in a car with someone who hasnt got a clue, what is it with this ridiculous way of steering by feeding the steering wheel in such a clumsy manner. She has already hit a central reservation because she couldnt steer quickly enough.
      Does anyone ever look at the way driving is taught? It was the same way when I learned not that long ago
      It shows you are 'in control' rather than the spin it around approach we all adopt post test- the trick is to take big pushes or pulls
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I give up. Why was she aiming at the central reservation in the first place?

Comment

My eldest has reached 17, the bad news is that she is learning to drive.
          I could teach her if she is a nice looking girl. The car is yours though

Comment

couldnt steer quickly enough.
            http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ng-ticket.html

Like father like daughter? Agree though that the steering wheel method is ridiculous. I think it is intended to ensure that 2 hands are used in a controlled manner all the time but is totally impractical.

Comment

The thing to remember, the method of driving taught pre-license is an ideal.

It is ideally forgotten post-license.

Comment

The only advice I can offer is to never give her a lesson or a practice drive.

No matter what it costs, get someone else to suffer that for you.

Comment

Pay for driving lessons
                  buy her a nice second hand car
                  and move to another town
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                    The only advice I can offer is to never give her a lesson or a practice drive.

No matter what it costs, get someone else to suffer that for you.
                    I duuno lads, my Da let me practice in his car and taught me 3 pt turn and reversing round a corner and they were the best lessons I had. Did road practice with BSM and they were ok. Driving through Dublin though was the best lesson though, if you can navigate those streets with all the morons with no licences, you've got it made.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X