PDA

View Full Version : Oh Dear ™ Doomed! ® - part 2

DimPrawn
13th November 2007, 10:09
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7090391.stm

Rising petrol, chemicals and food prices have sent factory gate inflation to the highest rate for nearly 12 years

Annual output price inflation rose to 3.8% last month, up from 2.8% in September and the highest rate since December 1995, official figures showed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7091469.stm

The slowdown in the housing market is becoming more pronounced, says the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics).

Its latest survey of members in England and Wales suggests prices in October fell for the third month in a row, and at the fastest pace since July 2005.

I hope you guys have tons of cash stashed. Remember, your contract is only as long as your notice period.

Francko
13th November 2007, 11:05
The slowdown in the housing market is becoming more pronounced, says the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics).

Its latest survey of members in England and Wales suggests prices in October fell for the third month in a row, and at the fastest pace since July 2005.

I hope you guys have tons of cash stashed. [U]Remember, your contract is only as long as your notice period.

A housing market price crash will not affect contractor nor rich investors who were certainly able to sell at good times or can afford a few years of a negative return investment. Again, the ones with loads of cash on their hand will be able to buy cheap properties that in 10 years time will be worth double again. The only ones to suffer are the honest joes who do pay half of their salary in the mortgage and will see what they thought was their pension scheme vanish away.

Again it is another unfair redistribution of wealth. I am sure this doesn't certainly bother quite a few people here. :devil

sasguru
13th November 2007, 11:07
Again it is another unfair redistribution of wealth. I am sure this doesn't certainly bother quite a few people here. :devil

It's only unfair if you think the stupid deserve as much as the clever, or the unlucky as much as the lucky. Who said the world was fair, anyway?

DimPrawn
13th November 2007, 11:07
A housing market price crash will not affect contractor nor rich investors who were certainly able to sell at good times or can afford a few years of a negative return investment. Again, the ones with loads of cash on their hand will be able to buy cheap properties that in 10 years time will be worth double again. The only ones to suffer are the honest joes who do pay half of their salary in the mortgage and will see what they thought was their pension scheme vanish away.

:banana::happy:yay::wave::music::cool3:

Bagpuss
13th November 2007, 11:09
:banana::happy:yay::wave::music::cool3:

Which one are you?

DimPrawn
13th November 2007, 11:10
I'm Spartacus.

sasguru
13th November 2007, 11:10
Which one are you?

I'm stupid but lucky :banana:

SallyAnne
13th November 2007, 11:11
It's only unfair if you think the stupid deserve as much as the clever

:eek: :eek: :eek:

DimPrawn
13th November 2007, 11:12
I'm stupid but lucky :banana:

Are you talking about yourself there?

If so, Im half in agreement with you.

sasguru
13th November 2007, 11:40
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Let me explain. All actions have consequences (although we seem to have forgotten this nowadays). So if someone has borrowed to the hilt with no thought to the future (stupid) as opposed to someone who has saved and/or invested wisely (clever), then in bad times the stupid one will suffer. Why should it be otherwise? That's the consequence of being free. You reap what you sow.

SallyAnne
13th November 2007, 11:47
if someone has borrowed to the hilt with no thought to the future (stupid)

In the majority of the country, this is called survival SAS. Not stupid.

as opposed to someone who has saved and/or invested wisely (clever)

And this is called privileged.
I dont know many people who can afford the luxury of saving - I guess they're stupid too?

DimPrawn
13th November 2007, 11:49
Thing is, you have to take risks to make money. Borrow to invest, leveraged investments etc.

Risk takers can fail, and so do morons. Often it's hard to tell them apart.

HTH

oracleslave
13th November 2007, 11:51
Thing is, you have to take risks to make money. Borrow to invest, leveraged investments etc.

Risk takers can fail, and so do morons. Often it's hard to tell them apart.

HTH

;) I would agree with that as there is a certain amount of luck/timing etc involved.

Spartacus
13th November 2007, 11:53
I'm Spartacus.
Yes, I am.

sasguru
13th November 2007, 12:10
In the majority of the country, this is called survival SAS. Not stupid.

And this is called privileged.
I dont know many people who can afford the luxury of saving - I guess they're stupid too?

You've mentioned your rate a couple of times. It's more than mine when I was contracting. How come I can save and you can't?
And I'm not privileged. I haven't inherited a penny and went to state school.
Anything I have I made myself.

SallyAnne
13th November 2007, 12:28
You've mentioned your rate a couple of times. It's more than mine when I was contracting. How come I can save and you can't?
And I'm not privileged. I haven't inherited a penny and went to state school.
Anything I have I made myself.

I never said me - of course I can save I'm a contractor ffs!!

I was talking about the majority of the country who dont earn our wages - who do not have the ability to save, who barely get by on their wages. Those poeple are not stupid because they are in debt up to their eyeballs - they're just living! Just getting by!

Not everyone in the country is as blessed as we are - and by blessed I mean whatever "nurture or nature" made us go contracting....opportunity? ambition? parental guidance? natural ability to learn? Asberger gene? Who knows. Not everyone has is. Infact not everyone has the chance to use it, even if they DO have it!

Your comment just seemed cold thats all - unlike you normally.

Bagpuss
13th November 2007, 12:30

Don't be sarcastic Sally

Spacecadet
13th November 2007, 12:30
this thread reminds me of the Grapes of Wrath

sasguru
13th November 2007, 12:35
I never said me - of course I can save I'm a contractor ffs!!

I was talking about the majority of the country who dont earn our wages - who do not have the ability to save, who barely get by on their wages. Those poeple are not stupid because they are in debt up to their eyeballs - they're just living! Just getting by!

Not everyone in the country is as blessed as we are - and by blessed I mean whatever "nurture or nature" made us go contracting....opportunity? ambition? parental guidance? natural ability to learn? Asberger gene? Who knows. Not everyone has is. Infact not everyone has the chance to use it, even if they DO have it!

Fair enough. But there are also loads of self-indulgent people who'll buy stuff they don't need and can't afford in order to show they have an "aspirational lifestyle". They deserve what they get.
It may be different down south to the north, maybe we have more idiots down here. When I lived up North (well if Yorkshire counts as North:D) it seemed things were different - people were more down to earth.

Bagpuss
13th November 2007, 12:36
and everyone knows a Yorkshireman could peel an orange in his pocket

NoddY
13th November 2007, 12:39
and everyone knows a Yorkshireman could peel an orange in his pocket

You mean a satsuma, oranges are ostentatious.

SallyAnne
13th November 2007, 12:48
Fair enough. But there are also loads of self-indulgent people who'll buy stuff they don't need and can't afford in order to show they have an "aspirational lifestyle". They deserve what they get.
It may be different down south to the north, maybe we have more idiots down here. When I lived up North (well if Yorkshire counts as North:D) it seemed things were different - people were more down to earth.

Ah now I get it! You're talking about the knob-jockeys you see on property ladder and the like?

Sorry hun - I completely agree with you there. I thought you were calling the poor stupid. Not the stupid stupid!

I knew you must have meant something nice in there (and I wasn't being sarcastic before).

DimPrawn
13th November 2007, 12:52
Ah now I get it! You're talking about the knob-jockeys you see on property ladder and the like?

Sorry hun - I completely agree with you there. I thought you were calling the poor stupid. Not the stupid stupid!

I knew you must have meant something nice in there (and I wasn't being sarcastic before).

My sister-in-law has just entered the property development business. She and her other half are in for a shock on this one!

Already, the quotes for the work plus the expenses (legal) have taken their "profit" down to zero. What a time to get into this business! :tired

wendigo100
13th November 2007, 12:54
Whoa! No need to be so pessimistic! This is just a small correction, a soft landing and all that, then we'll be off on the gravy train again!:D

Charles Foster Kane
13th November 2007, 12:59

Well, you could argue there is a connection between IQ and wealth, right? Discuss.

SallyAnne
13th November 2007, 13:03
Well, you could argue there is a connection between IQ and wealth, right? Discuss.

You could argue it....you wouldn't win though.

wendigo100
13th November 2007, 13:04
Well, you could argue there is a connection between IQ and wealth, right? Discuss.Are there any stats?

AtW
13th November 2007, 13:05
I think it is time to buy canned goods and bottled water...

Bagpuss
13th November 2007, 13:07

People with lower IQs tend to also be the richest?

Alan Sugar
Duncan Banertyne and Weir
Branson
etc.

Spacecadet
13th November 2007, 13:12
People with lower IQs tend to also be the richest?

Alan Sugar
Duncan Banertyne and Weir
Branson
etc.

premiership footballers
jade goody

sasguru
13th November 2007, 13:14
Yes our culture has started rewarding absolute twats which is why we're doooooommmmmmed.

SallyAnne
13th November 2007, 13:15
Yes our culture has started rewarding absolute twats which is why we're doooooommmmmmed.

Twats have always been rewarded - it's the oldest profession :D

sasguru
13th November 2007, 13:22
Twats have always been rewarded - it's the oldest profession :D

True. My mistake :laugh