• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Put Downs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put Downs

We all think of the perfect put down when its too late, but have you ever come out with a true cracker ? or had one done to you ?

my best one ever was about ten years ago, at lunch I was struggling with a massive salad baguette, bits of lettuce and cress flying everywhere.
    The office gobsh1te shouts over
    'Hey scouser, you need a bigger mouth'
    me - 'Can I borrow yours'

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/insult.html
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Very good. I like " Anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you worse advice"

Comment

That's a good one

Never enter a battle of wits unarmed.
        Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

I'm far to slow for that malarkey - think of great things to say but usually hours later!!
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Old but good..

I'd like to say I've enjoyed working here, but I can't
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I'm always too slow too. L'esprit d'escalier is what the French call it. The spirit that comes up with a killer reply when you're on the stairs on the way out.

Best one I came up with too late was when I was cycling along and a guy slowed his car next to me and shouted out, "Oi! Get of the f**king road! You don't even pay road tax!" His girlfriend was in the passenger seat and I really wish I'd said, "I don't pay for sex either mate. Looks like you're a double loser."

I've been waiting for about three years so far for the same opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Old but good..

I'd like to say I've enjoyed working here, but I can't
                Chan

In a similar vein is one I used once when a contract ended, it was originally used by Groucho Marx

"I've had a great time, this wasn't it"

I was in a meeting once when a manager from a user department complained that one of our IT team members had called one of his staff a "jumped-up little clerk".
                I was about to reply with the Pythonesque "Some of my best friends are jumped-up little clerks, and they would be offended by being compared to that dork" but of course I didn't
                If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

At a comedy club

Sat at table at front, fedora on table. Comedian dons hat and says 'See what a knut you look in this', retort 'I do now'.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    We all think of the perfect put down when its too late, but have you ever come out with a true cracker ? or had one done to you ?

my best one ever was about ten years ago, at lunch I was struggling with a massive salad baguette, bits of lettuce and cress flying everywhere.
                    The office gobtulipe shouts over
                    'Hey scouser, you need a bigger mouth'
                    me - 'Can I borrow yours'

You been watching Seinfeld again?

'Hey George, the ocean called; they're running out of shrimp.'

Comment

Working...
                    X