• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming Expenses

How far can I go back and claim expenses retrospectively.

I have receipts, invoices for a previous company that I'm just about to close, but I never claimed expenses on a weekly / monthly basis. As a result, I have overpaid tax on income that I could have legitimately claimed as an expense.

Can I submit these on my self assessment return etc.
    What about expenses for the previous tax year. Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks,

I know I should have done it at the time, but we are where we are, and I'm trying to sort out what I can here and now.

I'd say go back this company year as there is no BIK on expenses (genuine) so just enter then into the accounts.

Last financial/tax year would be pushing it.

Comment

Don't agree. Can't say for sure some rule hasn't changed it but the main legislation that first set up the expenses regime says you can claim legit business expenses from the current "or previous periods".

A knew I had it somewhere

section 198 of the Taxes Act 1988

Relief for necessary expenses.

Blah blah etc.

(3) There may be deducted from any emoluments chargeable under Case III of Schedule E the amount of—
      (a) any expenses defrayed out of those emoluments, and
      (b) any other expenses defrayed in the United Kingdom in the chargeable period or in an earlier chargeable period... blah blah
      being in either case expenses for which a deduction might have been made under subsection (1) above from emoluments of the office or employment if they had been chargeable under Case I of Schedule E for the chargeable period in which the expenses were incurred
      Last edited by xoggoth; 13 November 2007, 14:45.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thanks,

interpretation of 'period' being... month, quarter, year?

Comment

Chargeable period is a year, if it was a month it would not be relevant to mention it. You should be able to find the whole thing somewhere. Many companies do not make a profit for first few years (some never do) and are bankrolled by the directors but valid expenses by director are still claimable from company or no business would ever get off the ground. It is effectively a director loan to the company.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
          X