• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We need more migrants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need more migrants

More migrant workers may have to be allowed into Britain in order for new stadiums to be built in time for the London Olympics in 2012, it has emerged.

The suggestion, which undercuts ministers' promises to curb immigration from outside the European Union, was made by, David Metcalf, the Government's own advisor on migration policy.
    advertisement

The Migration Advisory Committee suggested it may be necessary to relax rules restricting the entry of unskilled labourers from outside the EU.

"You're going to need a lot of construction workers for the Olympics," Mr Metcalf told Channel Four News.

"It is possible that we can't get enough workers from the British labour force and the EU and therefore you will need workers from outside the EU and the Government may ask us to look at it."
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Yep, the more the better.

Comment

fill yer boots!!
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Ok, here is real life example: in the local park where I feed my squirrels as well as bird, there is a pond with ducks, geese etc.

About couple of months ago it got surrounded by fence saying "DANGER! DEEP SILT!", so basically it needed to be cleaned, work paid by council apparently to the tune of £40k.

There is a notice there that this work will take 6 (!) months.

All the builders are British - I chatted with them. They appear to work very irregularly, I know because I am there everyday at 2-3pm so I can see if they are on site or not, and how they work.

The work takes so long that almost all birds gone away, the builders cut down a few big trees showing complete disregard for birds who nested on one small island on the pond.

In my view this pond could have been cleaned up in a week using unemployed people with shovels who should be given simple choice - either they do community work like this or they lose their benefits.

Construction industry around London is rubbing its hands with glee doing about nothing right now - they know pretty well that the date for Olympics is fixed and the less they do now for regular pay means the more overtime and overbudget they will be able to charge near the end. It's obvious innit?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Construction industry around London is rubbing its hands with glee doing about nothing right now - they know pretty well that the date for Olympics is fixed and the less they do now for regular pay means the more overtime and overbudget they will be able to charge near the end. It's obvious innit?
          Very stupid actually. Do we rub our hands doing nothing waiting for MS to release Windows 2012 knowing that there will be alot of work to do once it is coming ? Do yout think low paid workers are not getting anything that comes along ? More likely the British PMs are not doing their work.

So what happened in System Shock , did you beat that FPShooter ?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            More migrant workers may have to be allowed into Britain in order for new stadiums to be built in time for the London Olympics in 2012, it has emerged.

The suggestion, which undercuts ministers' promises to curb immigration from outside the European Union, was made by, David Metcalf, the Government's own advisor on migration policy.
            advertisement

The Migration Advisory Committee suggested it may be necessary to relax rules restricting the entry of unskilled labourers from outside the EU.

"You're going to need a lot of construction workers for the Olympics," Mr Metcalf told Channel Four News.

"It is possible that we can't get enough workers from the British labour force and the EU and therefore you will need workers from outside the EU and the Government may ask us to look at it."

Come on are you a man or what ? Get the shovel and dig some holes !!

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
              Do we rub our hands doing nothing waiting for MS to release Windows 2012 knowing that there will be alot of work to do once it is coming?
              Microsoft releases are not fixed in time, a better example would be Y2k but when time was fixed just like Olympics and contractors made a killing back then because the industry had no choice. Good for you? But screwes everyone else, construction industry just doing it for a lot more people than IT contractors, so I give you that you are not the worst kind out there.

I finished System Shock without cheats

Comment

Ok, here is real life example: in the local park where I feed my squirrels as well as bird, there is a pond with ducks, geese etc.

About couple of months ago it got surrounded by fence saying "DANGER! DEEP SILT!", so basically it needed to be cleaned, work paid by council apparently to the tune of £40k.

There is a notice there that this work will take 6 (!) months.

All the builders are British - I chatted with them. They appear to work very irregularly, I know because I am there everyday at 2-3pm so I can see if they are on site or not, and how they work.

The work takes so long that almost all birds gone away, the builders cut down a few big trees showing complete disregard for birds who nested on one small island on the pond.

In my view this pond could have been cleaned up in a week using unemployed people with shovels who should be given simple choice - either they do community work like this or they lose their benefits.

Where do you work again AtW?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Where do you work again AtW?

But I am employed and don't claim benefits.

Actually I would not mind to put some free time into helping make park better, but rumour has it that some council members in Brum are bent and take bribes.

Maybe I will become a Mayor of Brum one day

Comment

But I am employed and don't claim benefits.

Actually I would not mind to put some free time into helping make park better, but rumour has it that some council members in Brum are bent and take bribes.

Maybe I will become a Mayor of Brum one day
                    Why don't you become a councillor?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1181684

Comment

Working...
                    X