• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The world has gone mad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The world has gone mad

Maybe I'm just old, but calling in the rozzers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7094764.stm

A Dutch teenager has been arrested for allegedly stealing virtual furniture from "rooms" in Habbo Hotel, a 3D social networking website.
    The 17-year-old is accused of stealing 4,000 euros (£2,840) worth of virtual furniture, bought with real money.

Five 15-year-olds have also been questioned by police, who were contacted by the website's owners.

The six teenagers are suspected of moving the stolen furniture into their own Habbo rooms.

Children these days. They should learn from the best how to earn money by not stealing.

Comment

Maybe I'm just old, but calling in the rozzers?
      Absolutely agree with the calling in the police on this one.

Being a die-hard MMORPG player, I am only too aware of the cost, in terms of grief, inability to play, and loss of enjoyment when something like this happens.

In our guild, a player had his account hacked, and all this equipment was stolen, money sold, etc..etc.

When the chap came on, he was obliterated with grief.

Fortunately, the guild organised an action plan, and over the course of 2 weeks, 30+ people devoted 2-3 hours of their own time, every night, to help him re-equip, which we did.

I typed /played on my character last night....72 days total play time in the course of a year. And I only manage 6 hours each weekday night, and 14 hr on Saturday and 14 hrs on Sunday. I'm more a casual player than many.

But to lose 72 days of time and investment would be utterly tragic and is no different to losing a physical possession.

Why do people have difficulties in understanding that the intangible can be worth just as much as the tangible ?

The virtual world and the physical world share many similaraties, the most common one being that they both have "presence", and therefore value, be that emotional, monetary, spiritual, or whatever.

Once "worth" is asbcribed to something, physical or virtual, it has value to someone, somewhere.

Besides, the coppers are never going to bother doing real policework on the streets, so we might as well get them chasing account hackers in wow, rather than sneaking behind bushes to catch motorists.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Get a life
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Get a life
          I did.

In fact, I now have several.

You still trying to get to grips with the meat-body one ?

/comfort
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

It is all escapism.

I don't see the point if I have to keep coming back

Comment

I suppose any activity could be generally defined as "escapism" to a lesser or greater degree.

Eg, reading a book. Going golfing. Visiting CUK. Watching the telly. Going to the bog. Going to bed.

What does "escapism" mean then, in such a context ?

I would strongly suggest that "escapism" is a word that implies a lot, but actually means very little. It is a vacuous word.

Me getting up to make a coffee halfway though this post is a form of escapism. But it is escapism out of necessity ? And what is that necessity ? The need to drink and satiate thirst ? The need to do something else, whilst I ponder my reply ?

A curious word indeed....

C.S. Lewis

Comment

We are waxing philosophical tonight aren't we
                Are you sure that's coffee

Comment

Definitely matey.

G'night

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Goodnight

Comment

Working...
                    X