• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AV on OS2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AV on OS2

I need to add anti-virus protection to 100 OS2 Servers. Any tips?

TIA

Originally posted by DGK View Post
    Any tips?
    Upgrade to Windows 2008 server.

HTH

Comment

Great advice, upgrade to an OS not even released. My client can't use flacky cr@p like Windoze anyway I'm afraid.

We need an uptime in double digits.

Comment

Sounds like you have got some legacy OS/2 software that you can't or won't port/rewrite?

Comment

I need to add anti-virus protection to 100 OS2 Servers. Any tips?

TIA

Does anyone write viruses for such an old obsolete OS?

Next you'll be telling me I need AV software for me ZX81.

Anyways, Google found this :

http://www.norman.com/Support/Knowle..._2/42559/en-us

Gives you until June 2008 to upgrade to this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/default.mspx

Comment

Great advice, upgrade to an OS not even released. My client can't use flacky cr@p like Windoze anyway I'm afraid.

We need an uptime in double digits.
            How comes millions of other businesses seem to cope with Windows Server products?

Maybe you just need to enter the 21st century?
            Don't be scared, mice don't bite.

Comment

City traders will not stand for Windows on the back end. If we bought Windows they'd go out and buy their own boxes and stick them under their desks.

I kid you not.

Comment

The irony I think is that the only OS that can probably run those OS/2 programs would be Windows.

I used OS/2 ages ago, in the time when Windows 3.1 was around, but nothing better - IMO, it's time is gone and your client should move away from the past into the future.

HTH

Comment

City traders will not stand for Windows on the back end.
                  Create an OS/2 theme for Windows, those traders won't notice

Comment

Os/2

According to Wikipedia:

Although IBM began indicating shortly after the release of Warp 4 that OS/2 would eventually be withdrawn, the company did not end support until 2006-12-31.[24] Sales of OS/2 stopped on 2005-12-23. The latest IBM version is 4.52, which was released for both desktop and server systems in December 2001.

IBM is still delivering defect support for a fee. IBM urges customers to migrate their often highly complex applications to e-business technologies such as Java in a platform-neutral manner. Once application migration is completed, IBM recommends migration to a different operating system, suggesting Linux as an alternative.

Might be a good idea to start a migration product now. Kerrrching!

Comment

Working...
                    X