• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Protected Tenants Whats The Point

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protected Tenants Whats The Point

Feel the need to moannnn n but what is the point of protected tenants if thats what its called, you know when someone has rented a house for greater than 10 years of something and then they get these rights which mean the landlord cant kick them out, they get cheap rent and they can hand the property to the kids ?

My next door neighbour is such a tenant, even though he cant be made to move out and has all these rights, he still expected his landlord to payout £8k in the last two months for double glazing and roof repairs, and the landlord paid it. My neigbours seems to think everyone should pay for what they want, checky f*ckers even hammered to the side wall of my house with nails some strips of wood to rest scaffolding against without asking my permission and didnt take it down, ggrrrrr

Anyway I dont understand why they get these rights I just cant see the reason for it.

Originally posted by MobileCheese View Post
    he still expected his landlord to payout £8k in the last two months for double glazing and roof repairs, and the landlord paid it.
    House belongs to landlord and he should have factored in these costs over a long period of time that rents were paid, say 10 years is 120 months, so £8000 is actually £66 per month. That's most certainly no more than 1 empty month a year that you would have if you had to change tenants often. So in effect landlord should be grateful he has got a tenant for all this time that pays rent on time.

IMO, any rent above 1 year should be like this.

Comment

I blame the government. No hang on, immigrants. Or was it house prices?

Comment

Lets

I have taken the line that if I present my flats in the best condition and put up for beyond the max usual rent someone pleasant will take them thereby making it less likley to; get stitched up when it's time for them to leave, have the immigration department on ones doorstep, have subletting to illegal immigrants, running up huge credit problems and outright fraudulent behaviour.

These are personal examples during many years.

Comment

My next door neighbour is such a tenant
          Earn more money, move out of council estate.
          Regards, J.

Comment

Anyway I dont understand why they get these rights I just cant see the reason for it.
            That's because that how the law used to be 20 years ago when the guy moved in.

And as few people were prepared to let on those terms the law was changed, but those lucky people who moved in under the old terms got to keep then.

Quite why the Landlord paid for DG is not clear, he had no obligation to do this.

tim

Comment

Give them notice after 9 years and get a new tenant in. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                Give them notice after 9 years and get a new tenant in. Simple.
                It might not (or should not) be so simple to give notice after 9 years.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  It might not (or should not) be so simple to give notice after 9 years.
                  Exactly, the clue is in the title "protected", that word is there for a reason.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                    Exactly, the clue is in the title "protected", that word is there for a reason.
                    I think there are different levels of protection. Say 6 month contracts are the least protected, and I believe there is extra protection that kicks in after 3 years.

IMO, the UK laws are very landlord biased - I can appreciate if this is the case for short term contracts like 3 months or 6 months, but any long term residence should have a lot more safeguards than it currently has.

Comment

Working...
                    X