• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online banking -changing password

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online banking -changing password

My wonderful online bank has just changed their security so that, not only do I have to change my password every five minutes, but it won't allow any of the previous 12 passwords to be reused. It also has to be very long and contain numbers and characters.

Now, short of writing it down, can anyone suggest a way that I can remember which of the 12 it is currently expecting me to enter?

Give the bank a nickname and put it down as a telephone number in your diary/mobole phone, or iPhone if you are a gay
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Now, short of writing it down, can anyone suggest a way that I can remember which of the 12 it is currently expecting me to enter?

hmmmm I wonder how I can remember a number between one and twelve that needs changing monthly.*

*wanders off scratching head

Comment

How about

password 1 = 1xxxxxxxxxxX

password 2 = x2xxxxxxxxxX

password 3 = xx3xxxxxxxxX

password 3 = xxx4xxxxxxxX

onto password 12

i.e. same word but move the number about within it 12 times
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          My wonderful online bank has just changed their security so that, not only do I have to change my password every five minutes, but it won't allow any of the previous 12 passwords to be reused. It also has to be very long and contain numbers and characters.

Come up with a sentence with the appropriate number of words in it to match the password length. Take the 1st letter of each word and substitute letters for numbers where you can.

eg. The Quick Brown Fox Jumped Over The Lazy Dog.

Becomes TQBFJOTLD

Becomes TQ8FJ0TLD

All you have to remember is the initial sentence.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            hmmmm I wonder how I can remember a number between one and twelve that needs changing monthly.*

*wanders off scratching head
            I don't know. I'll see what I can come up with....doesn't sound easy though...

Comment

post your passwords (and other login info) in this thread

as you're online anyway, access is quick and easy!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Where xxxx = your usual password

January = xxxx-1
                February = xxxx-2
                March = xxxx-3
                Apri; = xxxx-4

Get the idea?

Comment

Use a ‘salting’ technique. Or at least that’s a word that I may have incorrectly attributed to the technique.

Basically you just have just one word to remember, and salt it with variations. It's secure since you will have a long key, but is easier to remember than constantly changing keys.

For instance if you memorable word is fred, a password could be fredxxx on website xxx, on website yyy is fredyyy, ect. Of course if everyone did this, or knwe you were doing it, it would become insecure. I usually have one secure one and another for insecure places.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    ...and another for insecure places.
                    Perhaps you don't tell them that you love them often enough....

Comment

Working...
                    X