• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chancel - pay for church refurb

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chancel - pay for church refurb

I am getting my lease extended.

Solicitior advised me to get a 'Chancel' checked - i.e if the Church of England once owned the land your property was built on you might have to pay for the upkeep of the church.

Apparently it is enforceable by law and the CofE is ready to cash in - as there is huge amounts of land like this.

anybody been affected by this or is my solicitor havin me on?

The was a story in the news a few months back about some couple who were being asked for some ridiculous amount of money to pay for a new church roof IIRC.

It's real alright.

Comment

It's true I'm afraid.

Tell the fookers you are a strong Muslim believer, and such a thing would be against your religion and human rights and send a letter to Cherie Blair.

Sorted

Comment

No, it's true.

Most churches will allow you to sell that clause back to them though, which isn't too expensive.

Half the village where my parents live used to be church land, but they are gradually in the process of selling those rights back to the church so they don't need to pay.

If you want details, let me know and I'll find out this weekend when I'm back home.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No it's true, they can get you to pay toward a new church roof etc dates back to feudal times.
          In the spirit of Christianity they are starting to demand the money again
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

It was in the news a while back with various loaded oldies moaning because they had to pay out some pretty big sums. I would of thought it would be mentioned in the deeds and/or lease if it applies. I would think the original conveyancing solicitor when you bought might be liable in some way if it actually happened.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              It was in the news a while back with various loaded oldies moaning because they had to pay out some pretty big sums. I would of thought it would be mentioned in the deeds and/or lease if it applies. I would think the original conveyancing solicitor when you bought might be liable in some way if it actually happened.
              No, you have to ask for a special search. Normal conveyancing and searches does not include it (I believe).

Comment

You could always buy the manor title and then counter blackmail the church for using 'your' land to access it, in the spirit of Christianity of course
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  No, you have to ask for a special search. Normal conveyancing and searches does not include it (I believe).
                  Tithing (speling?) search

Was offered one when we bought our current house as it's down the road from a medieval church.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    No, it's true.

Most churches will allow you to sell that clause back to them though, which isn't too expensive.
                    If you sell the clause to them, doesn't that mean they give you money? Or do you mean "buy the clause off them?"

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X