• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this normal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this normal?

I started a new contract on 1st November and I have done absolutely nothing!! I only report to one guy and he is so snowed under I expect him to die of a heart attack any time soon!

He just hasn’t got the time to show me anything, I do pester him at least 3 times a day and arrange a time to see him but it always lapses as he is too busy. He hadn’t informed IT of my arrival on day one so spent a week and a half on my own laptop 'creating documentation' I got access to the network the other day and have spent more time surfing than working. Is it wrong to feel guilty?

It is very strange as my 1st contract role was 13 months long and very busy from start to finish, it is as though I have been misplaced and they haven’t found me yet (ps this is a big multinational)

Pps I am not complaining, just bored and need some one to talk too

All contracts are like that. Your first was an abberation.

Comment

I'm slowly ploughing my way through documentation. Everyone around me is manic, but the team lead is on holiday now, hence my activity here.

Make hay while the sun shines.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've got one where I've been working fairly hard, except for the odd day. I've done more work in the last 6 months than the last 6 years. I'm not being renewed, which is odd, because whenever I've done FA they've been very keen to renew. This good impression lark is overated
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

You never know how a role will turn out, I would start writing status reports and sending them to your manager. On my last project the PM ask me not to post my status report in the project database, as they didn't quite conform to his view of how late the project would be delivered. But I covered my ass.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            I've got one where I've been working fairly hard, except for the odd day. I've done more work in the last 6 months than the last 6 years. I'm not being renewed, which is odd, because whenever I've done FA they've been very keen to renew. This good impression lark is overated

You should have spent more time here learning about BTL from sasguru and I.

Comment

Originally posted by Signo_cypher View Post
              I started a new contract on 1st November and I have done absolutely nothing!
              As alreadypacked stated, your best bet is to cover your arse by sending a daily status report. You may be pestering your manager in person at the mo but there'll be no evidence of this if somebody starts questioning a month down the line why you've not delivered anything.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                You should have spent more time here learning about BTL from sasguru and I.

I learn something from you guys every day
                Much like when I saw that documentary on Joey Deacon, I realised it wasn't on to laugh at those less fortunate
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 November 2007, 17:00.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Signo_cypher View Post
                  I started a new contract on 1st November and I have done absolutely nothing!!
                  I have built a career out of doing nothing, use the time to expand your skills or build up your count posting carp in TPD

HTH
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                    As alreadypacked stated, your best bet is to cover your arse by sending a daily status report. You may be pestering your manager in person at the mo but there'll be no evidence of this if somebody starts questioning a month down the line why you've not delivered anything.
                    Not sure its a good idea to start rocking the boat, you are the new kid on the block, the other guy is snowed under, and he knows everything about the project, if you start rocking the boat now, who's side do you think they'd take the guy who knows everything (even though he is not efficient in delegating) or the new guy who doesn't know anything about the project or the systems - you can escalate, or take someone's who has influence aside and speak to him in a very diplomatic way, showing your keenness to help and be of some use.

I am not dismissing the idea that the other guy is deliberately not willing to give you any work, I'd be worried if I were you, you start the honey moon finishes and everyone expects you to be up and running my now, but what they don't know is that no one gave you any information/instructions or induction, or worse let you go off in the wrong direction deliberately, then you get the sack for being a slow or inadequate learner, and the other guy looks soooo valuable.

OK my point is do something, but keep the guy on your side, don’t start firing emails and status reports and moaning – perhaps a face to face chat with his boss is best

Comment

Working...
                    X