• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Defence Information Infrastructure (DII)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defence Information Infrastructure (DII)

Anyone see the piece on Channel 4 news this evening about this ailing MoD project - looks like another shambolic IT delivery sponsored by General Broon and Captain Darling in conjunction with EDS.

Anyone worked / working on this care to comment ?

I use this as an end user and its a bag o-wink to put it mildly.

Comment

Ooh, can AtW write something intelligent, insightful and thought provoking here about how money laundering in accomplished by the West, pretty please?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Ooh, can AtW write something intelligent, insightful and thought provoking here about how money laundering in accomplished by the West, pretty please?
        Nay chance man.

Comment

Is it self aware yet?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

It can't even get e-mail properly. Self aware is a long way off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              It can't even get e-mail properly. Self aware is a long way off.
              I think he was referring to AtW.

I have first hand experience of this and yes people aren't entirely happy as they were promised an improved system but in reality they have reduced functionality as many packages won't work or links to satellite systems have been severed, couple that with civil servants reluctance to change... you get the picture.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                Anyone see the piece on Channel 4 news this evening about this ailing MoD project - looks like another shambolic IT delivery sponsored by General Broon and Captain Darling in conjunction with EDS.

Anyone worked / working on this care to comment ?
                Sounds like another astounding New Labour "investment" of tax payers money.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Sounds like another astounding New Labour "investment" of tax payers money.
                  It goes much deeper than that, fingers, pies, US government etc etc... The idea is sound but to be fair a project of this magnitude is bound to have several setbacks and I guess the blame has to lie with whoever signed it off as acceptable, they obviously didn't understand what was really required as ATLAS are just giving them what they agreed.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I was working on this in the early days, trying to get agreement on master support arrangements mainly, but also on core functionality. Only three real problems with it:

- it's operated by EDS on their usual horrible contractual basis that absolves them from everything
                    - the core design is unworkable and should never have been passed as fit for purpose
                    - the execution is seriously hampered by the need for the security layers involved, which kill the total nett capacity (one 2Mb video clip got circulated early on and brought it to its knees).

Apart from that, they can't get good staff (like me, for example ) to sort it out because of the security rules so have to keep recycling the same 'experts' to do it.

Otherwise it's a pile of doggie doos. But am I bovvered?
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X