• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is now the time to Jump?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is now the time to Jump?

Hi I'm a Test Manager in the midlands and I am looking to make the jump from permie. Given the uncertainty around is it a good time?

Thanks

No. Next

Comment

Yes, if you want to be able to watch a lot of Christmas daytime TV.

Comment

Ditto... No Next
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Why are you chaps being nice to the newbie?? All this yes/no rubbish. Just beast em and then post some twaddle elsewhere about squirrels or something.

Comment

Have a look at the market for your skills. Not sure whether this is a good time or not for you - it's OK for my skills, but I'm here for another 6 months yet.

If it looks promising, then go. I wouldn't do it before Christmas, though.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Phew!

I thought after looking at the title he was trying to organise all the Chinese to jump off a chair at the same time and knock the Earth out of its orbit.. lucky escpape

Comment

I'd say no, things are going to take a downturn I reckon (Just posted to the effcet on another post).
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

most contractor markets take a downturn just before and after xmas, mainly because most hirers are too busy chatting up the office secretary to take on staff and the company is too busy partying to worry about starting new projects (hence no need for new contractors).

mid jan after the xmas hangover has worn off and they realise that deadlines still need to be met the markets usually pick up all the way until the money runs out mid march.

After this its mid april/early may before new budgets approved, projects organised and contractors are needed, all the way up until summer

summer is a tricky one, some projects are still ongoing and so staff are needed (contractors are also away on hols and so sometimes rates are higher), other times there is a dead period while everyone makes babies in the fields while it's sunny (well in my perfect world they do anyway)..

finally autumn kicks in, contractors are hired aorund august to get them end of year deadlines guaranteed to be met (regardless of cost) and the year repeats with everyone looking towards xmas around now..

So, make sure your timing is right before you jump into the skipping ropes otherwise you may be tripped up (do you see what i did there, skipping ropes, tripped up ???)

Of course all of this could be utter tosh and your market might be booming all year round..

HTH

it's friday so i thought id be nice to the newbie
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Cheers for the responses. So the best time to make the switch is after Christmas. What about the general Market? Is it on the up or down.
                    Should I give it 6 months a year? I ask because I'm at a certain Govn IT company in Telford that is cutting 600 jobs!! Go now or potentially get axed in 3 months?

And given I'm a Tester where's the best place to find out what trends there are?
                    Praise be for 16/11 'be nice to a newbie day'
                    Thanks Again

Comment

Working...
                    X