• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of IT contracting poll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of IT contracting poll

Please vote how you see your own situation ahead.
    I'll secure work, rates will rise.
    27.59%
    I'll get by, rates will be stable
    39.66%
    I'll struggle, things will get tough, rates will fall.
    18.97%
    I will retire/emigrate/go permie/become a plumber
    13.79%

Chop Chop - where's the poll?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Chop Chop - where's the poll?
      Sorry, my mind went blank again.

Comment

This is why I like doing support because one thing you can always count on is that computers will behave like tulips but as is more the case the people who use them will always create plenty of work for people like me – come rain or shine.

That being said I intend to go into my new plumbing career next year so option 4 for me.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          This is why I like doing support .
          Surely you and you rate are more under threat from the cheap offshore option than ever before?

Comment

A sure of DOOM to come when IT bods start talking about plumbing again !

Comment

Contract due to expire end of Dec but already renewed to 31st March and very likely to be extended after that. Rate the same but I am already earning a mint, so who's complaining?

Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

I'm halfway between the first and second choices.

Just started a 6 month contract with central government. Contract ends May, go live is July, roll-out through to March 2009.

So although I don't expect the rate to rise, I should be safe for a while (fingers crossed).
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Plus I'm on the highest rate I've ever been on
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Surely you and you rate are more under threat from the cheap offshore option than ever before?

In theory yes but the nature of the stuff I do means I’m out and around the office doing lots of physical stuff with cables, hotswapping power supplies (HP blades anyone?), doing stuff with blackberries, printer jams, office moves, setting up/fixing presentations and videoconferences – stuff that needs physical presence and that the facilities dept aren’t qualified to do.

About 70% of what I do is done over remote control which could theoretically be outsourced offshore. I suppose a lot depends on how good the infrastructure is at the client and how the need for on site IT support can be reduced.

The client I’m with now have been in this building since 1744 and there is some really ancient technology here and plenty of ‘boots on the ground’ work to be had. I’ve been somewhere where they removed all the on site support in favour of remote support to cut costs and the users were so unbelievably miserable it was a bit of a false economy. I think they’ve gone back to hiring contractors.

Anyway what do I care – I’ll be fixing toilets soon and that definitely can’t be outsourced!
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X