• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Captain Hurricane

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain Hurricane

When I was a nipper I read the Valiant comic, which had Captain Hurricane. He would always get into a tight scrape against the germans until something upset him, and he’d get into something called a ragin’ fury and thrash them to all parts and win the day.

Looking back at him as a role model, tens of thousands of kids learned that all you need to do to win at anything is lose your temper.

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    When I was a nipper I read the Valiant comic, which had Captain Hurricane. He would always get into a tight scarpe against the germans until something upset him, and he’d get into something called a ragin’ fury and thrash them to all parts and win the day.

Looking back at him as a role model, tens of thousands of kids learned that all you need to do to win at anything is lose your temper.
    Yeah the Valiant comics were great, weren't they. Not sure I agree with you - our generation lost its temper much less than this one.
    Did you know they have re-issued them in book form? I gave one as a present to my German mate - and he enjoyed it hugely
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Yeah the Valiant comics were great, weren't they. Not sure I agree with you - our generation lost its temper much less than this one.
      Did you know they have re-issued them in book form? I gave one as a present to my German mate - and he enjoyed it hugely
      You are probably right, I meant to say that the message was to lose it.

Books? I'll look out for them. Sounds like a suitable christmas present! The Claw, Legge's Eleven, His Sporting Lordship...

Comment

You are probably right, I meant to say that the message was to lose it.

Books? I'll look out for them. Sounds like a suitable christmas present! The Claw, Legge's Eleven, His Sporting Lordship...
        Superb presents for kids or grown-ups.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

http://www.hurricanes.co.nz/index.ph...=46&Itemid=100

Comment

I don't remember Valiant... used to read Victor though

Alf Tupper - The Tough of the Track & I Flew With Braddock
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Alf Tupper - The Tough of the Track
              Wasn't he the guy who always scoffed fish and chips at every oppportunity.

What would today dieticians make of that. Not a salad in sight.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                Wasn't he the guy who always scoffed fish and chips at every oppportunity.
                Yes, after work as he ran to an athletics meeting, where he'd be late, start a lap behind and still win.

But try telling that to kids today and they won't believe yer.

Comment

But try telling that to kids today and they won't believe yer.
                  He lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank,used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down Haulage yard for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. run a marathon eat fish and chips & when he got home, his Dad would thrash him to sleep with his belt!
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Comment

Working...
                    X