• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract in Amsterdam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract in Amsterdam

I am going to Amsterdam for three month contract work.

This will be my first time working in Holland so could someone please give me some tips about the tax system overthere?

I can see on top of wage tax I need to pay for Employer social security, Health insurance, Sickness protection.

Are they ALL necessary?

Many thanks

sorry, no idea

Sorry, I don't know anything about it.
    end of body tag

Comment

I think there is something about working in Amsterdam under the Overseas Guides (link on the right).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd get some professional advice on taking a contract in the Netherlands. but here is my personal info with the caveat that it may not be 100% correct ...

It isn't usually possible for you to work UK based ltd co with employers out there, there are all sorts of pieces of legislation to prevent you from doing it so usually contractors go via a Dutch 'umbrella'. You will have to pay the taxes you mention plus possibly some others generally it's higher than here and they tend to err on the side of taxing you too much and then work back from there. There is a 30% ex-pat tax allowance you can get but you have to apply, be supported by your client and it takes a while to come through. You also usually have to have a Dutch address and a Dutch bank account. Do not trust an agent (preaching to the converted I know) who tells you it is easy or straightforward!

Mr Windy Anna has been working over there for almost 2 years, his tax has been wrong for the majority of that time (in favour of SOFI not him) and he is hoping for a 10K euro rebate through any time now for tax year ending a year ago!! Another friend who was there for a couple of years finally got his tax rebate 4 years later!!

Be wary but it'll be fun once you get there!

Windy
        Last edited by WindyAnna; 19 November 2007, 16:55. Reason: typo

Comment

When I worked there I didn't have to worry about a thing. As I'm resident in Germany, they have a reciprocal tax agreement so I just had to prove that I paid taxes in Germany. Worked out nicely (except for the really tulip hotel I was in originally!!!)
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

which reminds me. after the xmas do when we decide to up the ante and have a real cuk spring holiday we should make sure that we all stay in a golden tulip hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
              which reminds me. after the xmas do when we decide to up the ante and have a real cuk spring holiday we should make sure that we all stay in a golden tulip hotel.
              Looks like the mods got you then
              Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                When I worked there I didn't have to worry about a thing. As I'm resident in Germany, they have a reciprocal tax agreement so I just had to prove that I paid taxes in Germany.
                There is a reciprocal tax agreement with the UK as well but for some reason all the other legislation seems to make it unworkable.

Comment

Originally posted by To BI or not to BI? View Post
                  Looks like the mods got you then
                  no, no, it really is the golden t u l i p. kinda suitable for a cuk adventure abroad don't you think? and unless we can find a hotel somewhere called the posted norks...

Comment

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
                    I'd get some professional advice on taking a contract in the Netherlands. but here is my personal info with the caveat that it may not be 100% correct ...
                    Windy
                    seriously though, windy anna offers good advice.

i'd add that it is almost always necessary to go through an msc of some sort. the tax rebate system is a freaking nightmare. i am still paying up for 05 and have not had my due rebate from 04. you definitely need a good umbrella and a good accountant. without those you are likely to be right royally shafted. the 30% rule is good but it is either that or expenses - you are not allowed both. so do some calculations to decide or get a massive rate that does not mention expenses and then be frugal. put some aside as just-in-case-tax-bill.

Comment

Working...
                    X