• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's time to outlaw copying and pasting in TPD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's time to outlaw copying and pasting in TPD

TPD is full of drivel. That's what makes it the greatest thread in the universe.

I have no problem with people adding to this drivel. Faqqer, for example, told a glorioulsy tedious story about his journey home last night. It took about 200 posts and had several of us enthralled for over 2 hours as his account of the evening's events unfolded. Dull, boring and sleep-inducing as this story was, it was entirely Faqqer's own work.

However, there is a worrying trend developing of posts being copied and pasted en-masse from other sources. This doesn't break the rules in any way, but to me it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of TPD. All the carp that's posted in there should be original carp. Quotes from other sources are fine, but creating hundreds of posts that are just copied from somewhere else just isn't cricket.

Discuss and vote.
    Ban copying and pasting in TPD
    28.57%
    I have no problem with copying and pasting in TPD
    14.29%
    I don't care
    35.71%
    What's TPD?
    14.29%
    I am AndyW and can't post in TPD any more
    7.14%

The poll is expired.

ǝןqqıʍ

What's TPD?
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

This poll should have been in LR then.

Comment

I'm new to TPD so am still learning the ways..
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
          What's TPD?
          Test Please Delete.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Test Please Delete.
            That thread should have been deleted!

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              TPD is full of drivel. That's what makes it the greatest thread in the universe.

I have no problem with people adding to this drivel. Faqqer, for example, told a glorioulsy tedious story about his journey home last night. It took about 200 posts and had several of us enthralled for over 2 hours as his account of the evening's events unfolded. Dull, boring and sleep-inducing as this story was, it was entirely Faqqer's own work.

However, there is a worrying trend developing of posts being copied and pasted en-masse from other sources. This doesn't break the rules in any way, but to me it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of TPD. All the carp that's posted in there should be original carp. Quotes from other sources are fine, but creating hundreds of posts that are just copied from somewhere else just isn't cricket.

Discuss and vote.
              I found the tale riveting, but could have done without the posts about tanks being pasted in between every post. It would have made it much easier to read, too.

Although I have been guilty of it in the past (but the Waltons are interesting), I'd be in favour of a ban on copy and paste into TPD.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                That thread should have been deleted!
                Never - as the second post says, it has to remain until the end of the universe.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Although I have been guilty of it in the past (but the Waltons are interesting), I'd be in favour of a ban on copy and paste into TPD.
                  Labour Party manifestos are not
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

Discuss and vote.
                    Suppose it goes back to posting images.. and the original idea seemed to be to get the number of posts in tpd to critical mass

Don't give an ar5e either way cept to say you may be taking it all a bit too seriously
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X