• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working beyond contract end date: any risks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working beyond contract end date: any risks?

My contract is up for renewal and client Programme Manager definitely wants to extend me.

However, client is a big corporate going through restructuring especially around HR/resourcing/contractor management areas. PM, agent and I are all pushing the HR people to get the purchase orders and all the paperwork sorted, but "these things take time" and I doubt they're going to get it all through the system before my current contract expires.

I'm confident it will all get sorted, but it will probably be 2 or 3 weeks after the end date of my current contract.

One option would be to just walk out the door when the current contract expires and tell them to give me a call when they've sorted out the paperwork. I think that would prompt them to pull their finger out and I'm sure these things can get sorted in a matter of hours if it gets escalated to the appropriate level. Don't really want to do this as it will just cause hassle for the client PM who, to be fair, is doing everything he can to get it sorted. Also, spending a couple of non-chargeable days at home while they sort it out doesn't financially benefit me.

Agent is telling me not to worry, it will all get sorted eventually and even if the paperwork isn't sorted, if you continue working after the official contract end date there is an implicit contract so I'd still get paid.

So my question is: are there any risks in working beyond the end date of a contract and is there anything I should be doing to mitigate these risks?

I'm planning on trying to get an email from the client Programme Manager confirming he wants to extend and accept it'll take a while for the paperwork to come through. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had similar experiences and how they handled the situation.

I'm planning on trying to get an email from the client Programme Manager confirming he wants to extend and accept
    Get this & let them know you will proceed on this basis

Agent is telling me not to worry, it will all get sorted eventually and even if the paperwork isn't sorted, if you continue working after the official contract end date there is an implicit contract so I'd still get paid.
    Is true

Just don't let it drag on for more than a couple of weeks but it's not the time to walk out ...and I have extended many contracts on this understanding with no problem

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
      My contract is up for renewal ... but "these things take time" and I doubt they're going to get it all through the system before my current contract expires.
      I no longer expect contract extension paper work to be provided before the extension starts. It is so unusual (must be over 6 years ago since it last happened) that I've given up stressing about it.

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
      I'm planning on trying to get an email from the client Programme Manager confirming he wants to extend and accept it'll take a while for the paperwork to come through.
      Reply to that by email saying "Thanks, I'd hate for you to be inconvenienced by all this, I will continue on the existing T&Cs" and cc it to the agent. Then phone the agent to say that's what you're doing. (The courts will treat that as a binding contract.)

Everyone will see you as a helpful, friendly contractor who is happy to put him/herself out for the benefit of the client.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

It depends how hard-ball you want to play it.

There will be an implied contract between you and the agency if you continue working. However, if there is something in the contract that says you only get paid if they do, and the client changes their minds, then you could have problems with it.

If you want the paperwork, then the best way to get it sorted is to explain to the client and the agency that you have taken legal advice, and the advice is that your company insurance would not cover you being on site without the paperwork. If you fell down the stairs, then you would not be insured to be there, and nor would the client, and you don't want to put them in that position...

The moment you mention that you aren't insured without paperwork, then they speed it up. Even if they keep reassuring you, you fall back on the line "that's not what my insurance people tell me". I've done that before - mainly to make the agency look bad, when the relationship was falling down.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've been in this situation.

Ask the agency for a Letter Of Intent and turn up to work on Monday as usual.

Look at it this way: if you stay at home and watch Trisha you won't get paid
          Cats are evil.

Comment

I got a great contract off the back of contractor walking off a situation like this. Unless I have your skill set - stay put.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Do remember if you're working past the end of your contract your insurers will not cover you. Suggest you take a 'holiday' whilst the paperwork turns up. Don't be on site for certain.

Personally I'd walk, and let someone else have the joy of that client. Such companies are generally badly organised and other clients are more worthy of my talents.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                Personally I'd walk, and let someone else have the joy of that client. Such companies are generally badly organised and other clients are more worthy of my talents.
                Waddle, Shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  ... let someone else have the joy of that client. Such companies are generally badly organised ...
                  Some of us rely on numpty clients for work! Generally, in the work I do, if they weren't pants organisations, they wouldn't be employing contractors like me to go in and clear up their mess for them.
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I always use the "I'd really like to be onsite, but I'm not insured without a signed contract" excuse too. It's amazing how quickly the paperwork will materialise....
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X