• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surfer dude stuns physicists with theory of everything

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An impoverished surfer has drawn up a new theory of the universe, seen by some as the Holy Grail of physics, which has received rave reviews from scientists.
    Despite this unusual career path, his proposal is remarkable because, by the arcane standards of particle physics, it does not require highly complex mathematics.

Even better, it does not require more than one dimension of time and three of space, when some rival theories need ten or even more spatial dimensions and other bizarre concepts. And it may even be possible to test his theory, which predicts a host of new particles, perhaps even using the new Large Hadron Collider atom smasher that will go into action near Geneva next year.
    I can't think why I should care, but I want him to be right, and I'm almost tempted to brush up on enough physics to understand, at least vaguely, what he's saying.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 18 November 2007, 10:14.

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I can't think why I should care, but I want him to be right, and I'm almost tempted to brush up on enough physics to understand, at least vaguely, what he's saying.
    Me too, I have always been interested in physics but I just can't get my head around some of the concepts and theories that get banded around these days, so much so that I can't help but think extra dimensions and multiple universes were just made up for the sake of convenience, I just don’t get how things that are so inconceivable to me are talked about as fact?? I would love to be able to just loosely grasp what’s really going on.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      ... I just don’t get how things that are so inconceivable to me are talked about as fact?? .
      Is it coz you is thick?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Someone needs to make a t-shirt with the E8 pattern on with the words "Holy crap, that's it!" written below. Would make a great geek present...
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

If he's got it then fantastic

The article stinks though, have you actually read his theory?

It’s full of mathematics that I recognize but are way above what a non physics/Mathematics graduate would even be able to start to comprehend.

The theory itself is based on the symmetry of a 57 dimensional object (giving a total of 248 dimensions)

He's not a random surfer dude - he's a physics PHD graduate (ie he's spent 6-10 years studying physics and published new research of his own).

The Telegraph managed to over romanticize the article and completely ruined what could have been a really good story
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Fascinating... would be cool if his predictions match the LHC results
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Fascinating... would be cool if his predictions match the LHC results
              My gut feel, fnar fnar, IMHO, it's too simple to be wrong. Should be 20 new particles, and 'easy' to spot.

I found the 'surfer dude' thing a bit OTT too. You ought to read his resumé:

9/91-5/99 University of California, San Diego
              5/99 Ph.D. in Physics
              G.P.A. - 3.9

Honors Fellowships - UC Regents fellowship, ARCS Foundation fellowship.

9/86-6/91 University of California, Los Angeles
              6/91 B.S. in Physics and B.S. in Mathematics
              G.P.A. - 3.9 (4.0 in Physics and 4.0 in Mathematics)
              Academic Honors - Phi Beta Kappa, Sigma Pi Sigma, Golden Key.

Graduation Honors - College Honors, Highest Honors in Physics, Highest Honors in Mathematics, Summa Cum Laude, Kinsey Prize for The Outstanding Graduating Senior in Physics.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Clearly this theory was inspired by Hawkins…’s wheelchair spokes.

Comment

Keep it simple - It is often the way.

The number of complex solutions to simple problems even in the engineering profession makes me dizzy.. always try and KIS. The NHS is a good example of KIS gone bad.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Occam's razor in science.

Comment

Working...
                    X