• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police waste money on new mascot - because character is 'too male and white'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police forced to spend £15,000 on new mascot - because character is 'too male and white'
    Last updated at 16:18pm on 19th November 2007

Uniformed mascot: Is said to be 'too male and white'

Police chiefs will spend £15,000 creating "ethnically diverse" mascots after one of their officers criticised an existing model for being too male and white.

PCSO Steve, a uniformed mascot complete with over-sized head and equipment, was created by the Metropolitan Police for visits to primary schools.

But one of the force's sergeants slammed the character for failing to represent the capital's communities.

He said the figure, which is white with blue eyes and blond hair, risks leaving Asian and women officers "isolated".

The comments sparked a public row with some claiming the criticism was taking political correctness too far.

Now senior officers said they will invest £15,000 in the design and production of three new characters.

In a written response to questions from the London Assembly, Sir Ian Blair said staff from the force's diversity unit were brought in to help create the costumes.

He said: "These characters will be more representative of London's population and the diverse range of police personnel.

"The choice of characters will allow the concept of a Safer Neighbourhoods team to be presented to young children as well as delivering an important message about the different roles of PCSOs and constables."

The original PCSO Steve costume was based on real-life Sutton borough police community support officer Stephen King.

Paid for by a £1,000 sponsorship deal with a local plumbing firm, the character proved a huge hit at schools and other public events.

But it attracted criticism from one sergeant who claimed an Asian colleague could not wear the costume at an event because it has a short-sleeved shirt.

In a letter to police in-house magazine The Job published today, one officer said the row could damage relations between the police and the public.

Pc Geoff Parker, who works in Islington, said: "One of the things that is damaging our job and our relations with the community is this constant overbearing political correctness.

"We seem to be taking the issue to the extreme, and pandering to every whim and gripe. We need to take a sensible approach to this and stop over-reacting."

The project has now been renamed "Police Pals" and police officer versions of the costumes will also be made.

The new costumes, expected to be ready early next year, include a woman PCSO, named Sunita, and a man and a woman police constable.

The £15,000 bill includes £600 in design costs and £14,400 for the creation of four suits for each of the three characters

You really have become an adopted Brit haven't you?

Reading the Daily Mail.

Yours,

Outraged from Moscow.

Comment

Me is thick, innit Guv'r?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Me is thick, innit Guv'r?
        You can say that again
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Shoot the feckin mascot

"No expense spared: Sir Ian Blair has said the new mascots will be more representative of London's population"

What? Shot dead on the underground?
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

But one of the force's sergeants slammed the character for failing to represent the capital's communities.
            He wasn't slammed at all. He initially resisted arrest, was restrained, and subsequently fell down three flights of stairs. We could show you the CCTV footage if we could get it back out of his jacksy. No further comments

PC TL

Comment

Cheap solution. Paint it black, and give it a handbag.

Sorted.

Comment

you're thinking of Chris Eubank, DP.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Cheap solution. Paint it black, and give it a handbag.

Sorted.
                  I see a white cop and I want him painted black
                  And chop his todger off it's something he should lack.
                  I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
                  They should be wearing burkas from head down to their toes.

Comment

Originally posted by Masher View Post
                    I see a white cop and I want him painted black
                    And chop his todger off it's something he should lack.
                    I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
                    They should be wearing burkas from head down to their toes.
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X