• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Camden Council Tax - bunch of retards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the story ... I move out of Camden Town (as my tenancy had expired) to a completely different Borough of London and 8 months later Camden Council forward me bills to my new address (yes in a completely different Borough out of Camden Councils control) for Council Tax Bills for periods of time which I was not there, they even sent me a Council Tax Paying In Book with my address stamped on the front for a different Borough.

I wrote to Camden Council 20 days ago giving them proof (on their request) of having paid Council Tax in different borough during the time that they wish to bill me for and guess what they reply with nothing more than a reminder stating that they will make a Summons against me if I don't pay up ... I wasn't even there at the time and my tenancy had ended ! I blooming well moved out of that place !

On a more serious note I don't want a court summons made against me as this I think gets flagged on employer security checks and I work for banks
    I remember one bank telling me that Nick Leeson had a County Court Summons made against him and they would have known this had they checked up.

Anyone know a good solicitor in London who can sort these things out fast if the bozos on the phone in Camden Town can't make a decision to drop it (and they won't cos they are morons).

Country Court Summons should not be on your file - even if decision is made against you (CCJ) then, if you pay within 28 days, it will disappear from your record.

Councils always threaten to take you to court, you need to use common sense rather than engage solicitor - this will cost you so much that you might as well roll over and pay what council demands.

Comment

I'd be inclined to take them to court and demand costs when you win.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Fair point, I will try and reason with these guys at Camden Council, but I mean ... my direct debit payment to them ended on 15 March 2007 when I told them that I was settling up, I got utility bills / council tax bills at my new place for dates that prove that I was living there.

Maybe to roll over is the best thing .. but then to pay the amount for that period is an admission that I WAS LIVING IN CAMDEN TOWN during that time and if I then go back on my word (the truth) then there is no telling for how many other dates they can charge me for that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I'd be inclined to take them to court and demand costs when you win.
          I doubt you will get costs - the matter is under £5k, so it should go to small claims: you won't recover your legal costs even if you win, I know I did.

Comment

the matter is for only 128 quid which I can pay but I mean .. if I pay it it is ADMITTING THAT I WAS THERE ! and I wasn't !

I know its the principal of the thing etc. but what I am more worried about is what will happen if they then start charging me ad infinitum.

I want to nip this one in the bud.

As stated before I settled up with them in March 2007 and they are still billing me forwarding bills to my address in a different Borough.

any advice ?

Comment

What you need to do is collate hard evidence that you moved elsewhere from point of time X - and agree to pay only up to that point, if you already paid then you don't owe them anything and you can go to court if they wish so.

Getting solicitor involved because of 128 quid is pointless because it is going to cost you many times over this amount to get represented in court and you won't get your money back even if you win in court.

If you go to court and lose then you will probably have to pay £50-70 extra as court costs, not a big deal, and if you repay whole amount (debt + costs of court) within 28 days then you won't get CCJ on permanent record. Simple really - nothing to be afraid, just be firm in protecting your own interests.

---

Comment

Thanks for the advice .. still its a day off work and it costs.

But anyways, its a hastle.

Comment

Yes. Next.

Comment

Get a letter from the landlord or managing agent confirming when your tenancy ended.

Better still, good letting agents should have a contact at the council who they can speak to who can either resolve or refer the managing agent to someone in the relevant dept who can sort out.

Had a similar issue a few years ago.
                    i.e. was being asked for council tax after I had vacated the property.
                    Pulled my hair out in frustration delaing with the feckwits who man the phones at the council and in the end got it escalated to the dept manager who sorted it out there and then without any fuss.

Also, had the council chasing my new tenants for tax which the previous tenants owed. Referred it to my managing agent who called a contact at the council who sorted it out once the agent provided proof (tenancy agreement and forwarding address of previous tenants).

I feckin hate local govt - their employees are (just) one rung up from the un-employable so know what you mean.

Although not a lot of money, why should you pay for someone elses incompetence.

Comment

Working...
                    X