• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ignore everything

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore everything

The best manager I worked with had a saying

'Ignore everything before the but'

I always found it to be totally accurate. Do you have any positive memories of good permie managers ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

The best permie manager I had was on my first contract. He left after three months to go back to contracting. Taught me everything you need to know about being a contractor.

Utter beer monster as well.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have had one or two good permie managers...but I have also had bad managers that were contractors.
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Best permie manager I had would leave a skeleton staff and then move the rest of the dept to the pub everyday at 11:30.

He would pop back occasionally and check there were no issues & we would return 15:00 ish

Eventually he was caught out using wifes maiden name to run a company that had contracts at the bank

Merchant Banks eh... those days are gone forever!
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I had a Saturday / school hols / college hols job in a greengrocers from 13 (law? wot law?) to 20. The guv'nor was the most honest and smartest businessman I have ever met. Also, a very good people manager.

He ran at least 3 businesses too.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I had a manager who would hire on the basis of how fast someone walked, fast walker = fast worker, he was proven to be right every time.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Oh dear I appear to have entered an infinite loop.

Comment

I always found it to be totally accurate. Do you have any positive memories of good permie managers ?
                I like that and will incorporate it into my rules. I heard a good one from my step dad yesterday which is a Hollywood expression that is:

"You gotta have 'flip you' money" so you can turn down work you don't want to do and thus never end up lowering your rates/standards or taking a lesser job because you need the money.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Variantion on the theme "If there's a 'but', don't do it."
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    I had a manager who would hire on the basis of how fast someone walked, fast walker = fast worker, he was proven to be right every time.
                    Really? Sounds a bit sketchy to me.

Even a lazy person occasionally has to run because they're touching cloth.

Are you a Dad yet, GJ?

Comment

Working...
                    X