• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you really care about football?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you really care about football?

I just don't understand the fever around this mass spectator sport at all. Thought I'd sound you out and see how many football nutters there are out there, seeing as the board is full of speculation today.
    The greatest game in the world, I'd sell a kidney for the right ticket.
    9.43%
    Enjoyable, something to chat about down the pub.
    28.30%
    I have no opinion.
    7.55%
    It's a minor annoyance.
    13.21%
    I hate the game and the culture surrounding it.
    33.96%
    AndyW for England manager.
    7.55%

At its best it can be as good as great art. At its worst, well you saw yesterday. Have you ever seen any of the Brazil games from the 1970 World Cup? If you have that would answer your question.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes I do really care. I would go as far as to say I don't fully trust any bloke that does not care passionately about this great sport, particularly if they don't drink either.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I don't really care for international football, call me a traitor. Can get into it when there's a big competition the rest of the time
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 22 November 2007, 12:08.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I enjoy the game and understand the passion that some people can feel about it, but when it gets to the level of attacking Portugese restaurants because your team were beaten by Portugal in a competition, then I fell we have gone too far....(to use an example of football violence...)
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
            I enjoy the game and understand the passion that some people can feel about it, but when it gets to the level of attacking Portugese restaurants because your team were beaten by Portugal in a competition, then I fell we have gone too far....(to use an example of football violence...)

Agreed. Unfortunately football can get too tribal and it does attract some who are not, shall we say, all there upstairs.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Football is the greatest game in the world of that their is no doubt.

Just one bit of blown up leather can transfer a deprived africian kid into a multi millionaire, can get complete strangers talking and bring joy to millions without them actually doing anything!!

The only person who doesn't like the football is the kid who was stood against the wall last to be picked and than told to go in goals!!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Agreed. Unfortunately football can get too tribal and it does attract some who are not, shall we say, all there upstairs.
                Yep. I recall the times of the Rangers v Celtic matches and it was not safe to take kids. The same story holds for Heart v Hibs in Edinburgh. In my opinion, it is a game and by all means get passionate but keep a sense of reason...

I do enjoy watching footie though and I also enjoy the rivalry, but as long as it stays friendly and not a personal attack...
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Should I stop making silly posts in the "who will you support in Euro 2008?" thread?

Voted 2
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Don't confuse hooligans with football fans, those guys don't go for the football.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X