• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British productivity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British productivity

Bought a new washing machine from Currys for tenants as the old one went kaput. Paid extra to have it installed by them.

Driver comes round today, unloads, unpacks new machine and then decides that the power socket does not have an isolation switch so refuses to install any further.

He didn't hang around for me to get there either, I missed him by seconds as I saw him drive off, so the tenants now have a new washing machine in the kitchen that is not installed.

At the very least, I do not see why he couldn't have connected it to the water and left the electrics well alone for me to sort out which I would have gladly signed off on his delivery slip.

So, a few phone calls later Currys have agreed to a full refund and monkey boy will have to come round again to collect the machine.

I will get an electrician in to rectify the socket and then re-place the order with Currys and monkey boy will have to go through the rigmorole of unloading, unpacking etc all over again.

The polish tenants were none too impressed with British service and were well versed in it when I commented on it.

So the question is, when did Britain become a nation of jobsworths. When growing up, I'm sure service was better but I'm surprised the UK hasn't ground to a halt due to this attitude.

Discuss, abuse AtW (the new Chico) etc.

Could the tenants not have plumbed it in themselves?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yes as Poles they should be used to Plumbing. Coincidence that both begin with "P"? I think not.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes, as could have I, but I paid extra for this to be done.

Point is, the inflexibility in services nowadays.

Comment

Oh, I thought it was time for the oxymoron thread again....
          Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Yes, as could have I, but I paid extra for this to be done.

Point is, the inflexibility in services nowadays.
            Sorry - it was a subtle thing about Polish immigrants being plumbers...

(Racist!)
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Shouldn't the title of this thread be in the oxymoron thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
                Shouldn't the title of this thread be in the oxymoron thread?
                ehmmm, look at #5
                Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Currys and the like are known for their poor service.

You need to use a retailer who prides themselves on good service i.e. John Lewis and pays their subcontractors per job. So if the subcontractors don't do the job properly they don't get paid. Oh and their carpet fitters do go out of their way to help people free of charge i.e. putting bits of carpet in small places properly, fixing a carpet they supplied years ago but you moved.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Connecting a washing machine is a piece of p1ss, takes 5 minutes max. Isolation switch? what is he talking about?
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X