• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The AndyW option

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AndyW option

This is getting a bit annoying now, because it skews the results of a poll, which makes the poll completely pointless.

Eg, Let's suppose we had a poll on "Which is best, Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate or White Chocolate."

1. Dark : 10 votes
    2. Milk : 9 votes
    3. White : 5 votes
    4. Andy W : 11 votes

How on earth am I supposed to get "poll closure" on the above ?

Admittedly, the Dark Chocolate got the majority vote, however there are 11 wasted votes which could have dramatically changed the results, leaving me no nearer to discovering the true answer or result.

This is important, because polls do have an influence on people's habits, and for example, if White Chocolate was the REAL winner in the poll, then I, as a non-white chocolate eater, might be encouraged to try white chocolate to see what the fuss was all about, and then discover that I might like it.

Therefore the AndyW option is at the least, pointless, and at the worst, subversive and counter-productive to the whole point of a poll.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Therefore the AndyW option is at the least, pointless, and at the worst, subversive and counter-productive to the whole point of a poll.
    It was me who started using that option first and now it is one of the finest CUK traditions

The only regret I have is not to have "test please delete" thread started

Comment

you think about things A LOT
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Have you thought of a job at the Office of National Statistics?
        If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Comment

Maybe that's the CUK equivalent of exercising your right not to vote
          Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            It was me who started using that option first and now it is one of the finest CUK traditions

The only regret I have is not to have "test please delete" thread started
            Feeling very narcissistic today aren't we?

Comment

It surely means "none of the above", ie 11 people do not like any form of chocolate.

Or maybe it means "other". They like orange chocolate or mint chocolate.

Or.....WGAS!!!

Comment

This is important, because polls do have an influence on people's habits, and for example, if White Chocolate was the REAL winner in the poll, then I, as a non-white chocolate eater, might be encouraged to try white chocolate to see what the fuss was all about, and then discover that I might like it.
                You appear to be very easily led. This being so, I would advise you to find some more reliable sources of guidance than the opinions expressed (whether in polls or otherwise) in this place

Comment

This is getting a bit annoying now, because it skews the results of a poll, which makes the poll completely pointless.

Eg, Let's suppose we had a poll on "Which is best, Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate or White Chocolate."

1. Dark : 10 votes
                  2. Milk : 9 votes
                  3. White : 5 votes
                  4. Andy W : 11 votes

How on earth am I supposed to get "poll closure" on the above ?
                  What about carob?

Comment

Have you thought of a job at the Office of National Statistics?
                    No. But it would be interesting.

Statistics help define and shape our lives, they give us a point of reference and allow us to see where we fit in to the grand scheme of things.

I'm not suggesting we slavishly modify our lives because of statistics per se, but rather we gain understanding from them of our own place within society, and what socio/economic groups we exisit within.

Only when you fully understand yourself, and how others perceive you, are you in possession of the facts that can enable you to morph your personae to your own advantage.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X