• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tales from permie land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tales from permie land

Handed in notice a couple of weeks a go to take up a contract. Only a short term one, and the market is looking a bit scary, but I had wearied of working in a big company and I'm young with no responsabilities and money in the bank.

The company was "shocked" and they ended up making me an offer I can't really refuse so I am going to stay.

The very same week a guy I work with. Late 30s,married, two kids, company man through and through was made redundant out of the blue. Poor blighter loved his job, was devoted to the firm but the technology he worked with was being phased out and he was being cross trained. Six months in to his cross training they decided he was no longer needed.

He was the kind of guy who would bleed for the company. He exuded this aura of knowing his place in the world and the scheme of things. Then next day he is out of there.

I'd been having dinner with the guy the week before. I was generally moaning and pointing out the craziness of working your butt off for some company's profit margin and jumping through corporate hoops. He explained to me how it worked in the company and if you put in the effort you get rewarded. Sure he missed a lot of his young family growing up, and hey he has to do work at weekends... but he was happy as can be.

Depressing.

Depressing but sadly common. However, there's another interesting viewpoint - a contractor who took six months to learn a new technology would be out of work PDQ as well...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Deluded fool just learnt a short sharp lesson about the real world, he fell for what the HR department had been telling him. I have minimal sympathy... which I think makes me a bad person

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
        Deluded fool just learnt a short sharp lesson about the real world, he fell for what the HR department had been telling him. I have minimal sympathy... which I think makes me a bad person
        Nah it's the carpet thing that makes you a bad person.

Anyone who belives HR is an idiot.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nah it's the carpet thing that makes you a bad person.

Anyone who belives HR is an idiot.
          You stalking me?

Comment

<HR>
            We have this guy working in our company who decided he wanted to be a contractor and handed in his notice. Now, we couldn't really afford to loose him at such a short notice, so we had to make him an offer he coldn't refuse. Mind you, that was stretching out budget a bit too much, so we had to let another employee go. Bit of a shame, because he had been working at out company for a long time, and he was devoted to the firm. He was even willing to be cross trained, and in fact, he had just spent the last six months doing so. Anyway, it's not a big deal. We need about 6 months to find somebody cheap to replace this would be contractor and then we can ditch him, too.....
            </HR>
            Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was planning to take alomst a year off work to go travelling. The company he worked for agreed and verbally promised him his job would be there when he got back.
              I advised him as strongly as possible to get the agreement in writing before he went, he thought that his 5 years of good service meant that there was a mutual feeling of obligation and he was OK.
              2 days before he left he was told that his job might not be available when he returned.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Space-cadet....

oohhhhh-diddums

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  Space-cadet....

oohhhhh-diddums

Milan.
                  eh?
                  Coffee's for closers