• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting agent not returning rent deposit.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting agent not returning rent deposit.

One month after I left a place that I was renting , the agent has still not returned my deposit of 600 pounds.

He is a Chinese student who works ( so he said ) for an agency that manages the property.

After I contacted him asking what is going on , he sent me an SMS saying that he was short of cash and will make the transfer as soon as he gets his “regular student loan”

Should I:

1. Call the cops.
    2. Get a lawyer ( for 600 quid ?!?! )
    3. Research and find who owns the property and contact them.
    4. Go and kick his Chinese but. ( Very risky , most Chinese will know KungFu to some extent )
    5. Forget these 600 pounds already.
    Last edited by 2uk; 24 November 2007, 20:28.

IANAL but why not send him a letter demanding the deposit + interest, and if he refuses, then sue him?

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
      IANAL but why not send him a letter demanding the deposit + interest, and if he refuses, then sue him?

That’s why I am asking - I am not sure what should I do .. it is only 600 pounds. Seems too little to involve lawyers… unless they get him to pay for all expenses…

Comment

You do not need to involve lawyers at all. Google for county court claims and follow the procedure on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
          You do not need to involve lawyers at all. Google for county court claims and follow the procedure on their website.
          Yep, I've found in the past just a nicely worded letter threatening to take it to county court has done the trick.

Comment

ok , thanks.

Comment

Strongly worded letter, setting a deadline for return of payment, and a threat of court action.

Hopefully that will do the trick...
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

4. Go and kick his Chinese butt.
                (Very risky , most Chinese will know KungFu to some extent)

As you are having plastic surgery soon, if you get your face re-arranged you can add it to the list of things you want the Dr. to rectify.

Comment

is the guy Chinese Chinese?

In China (Beijing my knowledge) the deposit is basically a gift to the landlord - you never get it back - the culture there is to accept it - there will be delays -questions about condition of the place and other bulltulip to delay you into saying 'tulipe it - can't be bothered'.

I know you are in the UK but they might bring that idea with them.

However, there is a new law that says that your deposit cannot be held by the landlord personally but has to be held in some type of escrow - look it up and tell him he is foul of the law - he won't want any heat with a 'student' visa. He also might be the ownwer masquerading as the agent so as to charge fees or write fees off.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
                    the deposit is basically a gift to the landlord - you never get it back

I'd do same as the others suggested.

Do the letter, if that don't work then you can go all Jackie Chan on his ass.
                    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X