• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I Go Contracting In The New Year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Go Contracting In The New Year?

I'm currently working for a large American Financial Services provider in Leeds, who I've been working for since I finished University. I spent the first 2.5 years on their IT Graduate Scheme, doing IT Project Management, and the last 18 months as a Business Change Manager, managing projects from the business side. In all I have 4 years project management experience.

In mid December, my project management team is being made redundant, and I am considering going contracting. The redundancy package will give me a few months where I can look for a new job and keep my head above water.

I'm considering starting to apply for contract roles in Dec, with a view to start as soon as possible in January. Does anyone have any thoughts on contract availability in Leeds / Yorkshire in Jan, and my work experience? I'm also considering starting my own company for contracting too.

- RTB

Honestly?

I would wait until end of Feb, start of March at earliest (no harm in keepin any eye out though)

December, January and most of February suck for contract opportunities usually.

You don't have a huge amount of experience but if you market yourself right then whos to say you won't pick up something soon. Be prepared for a long and possibly painful wait for that first contract though (we've all been there)

Comment

I'm sure there will be a lot of ex-financial services bods looking for work next year.

Which isn't good for anyone really.

Comment

Go for it!

You will have to set up your own Ltd company anyway – can’t contract without one. Don’t restrict yourself to the Finance Sector either – look for the types of Projects you have managed to date.

I must admit, so far I have been lucky looking for work in the New Year, as a PM you will be brought in at the beginning of the project – these sometimes kick of in the New ( I will see if I am in this position in Jan!)

Good luck
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Working...
        X