• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offering Free Technical help to Charity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offering Free Technical help to Charity

Hi All

Currently I'm contracting on-site with Oxfam at the head office here in Oxford.

We're currently replacing our Core Customer Relations System from a homegrown to a highly customise'able off the shelf CRM product.
    This is obviously costing lots & lots of money.

Yesterday I had a crazy thought as I remember always thinking I'd like to offer free technical help to Oxfam.

I wonder how interested anyone would be in offering free remote technical help/code in creating new systems for Oxfam (obviously expenses would be available if you needed to visit on-site).

This is unofficial & I've not mentioned this to anyone senior here yet

Even if lots of people were willing to help it would certainly be a challenge to put a proposal together & possibly a fight to get it through but hey, think of the money we could save & allocate to where it's really needed.

Does anyone think something like this could ever work ?

Please post comments & give me an indication of peoples willingness to help with this poll.

Many Thanks

GW

PS This Poll is not flagged as public ie. your names will not be shown against the option you choose
    I would be commited to help make this work
    11.43%
    I would offer lots of help
    8.57%
    I would offer help if I had time
    37.14%
    I would not help
    14.29%
    I would not help out of principle
    28.57%
    Last edited by GWilliy; 27 November 2007, 13:52. Reason: Provide Poll Info

Sounds like a great idea.

What skills, (programming) languages and platforms would be required?

Comment

I wonder how interested anyone would be in offering free remote technical help/code in creating new systems for Oxfam (obviously expenses would be available if you needed to visit on-site).
      Is there a salary structure for permie workers at Oxfam?
      Did you do your dba contract for free?

but you want us to help out the fuzzy wussies for free ?

think you're on the wrong site

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I think it's a good idea but as my skills are mainly system design and or analysis I'm not sure how I could help. My programming skills are maily limited to an ancient language (similar to Latin) called COBOL so I'm not sure I could help there!
        One snag is that I'm in Scotland - quite far away from Oxford.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

I would help but I have a terrible war wound that plays up when people talk about working for free and charity and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
            One snag is that I'm in Scotland
            That's quite a snag
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              That's quite a snag
              yeah
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Half the upper management at Oxfam are pulling in six figure salaries/stipends, why not hook up to the same gravy train?

Comment

Wow fast reponse - Thanks

Dim - Requirements would be better known after a Proposal & Scope had been created. but generally MS SQL Server & .Net is in use

Troll there is an open grading Salary structure for the permanent Staff here - there are also quite a few Interns & volunteers working on site for free.
                  I do this Contract at a reduced daily rate & not for free because I am on-site 40 hours a week & unfortunately still need to earn a living.

Kathy - Thanks, Scotland is not that far away really ;-)

GW

Comment

Well done Churchill

If your going to slander people for no reason you really should do a little bit of research first.

This is not a discussion I will get into but to put the record straight

see
                    http://www.intelligentgiving.com/fat_cat_salaries

GW

Comment

Working...
                    X