• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Consultant of the Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Consultant of the Year

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/003558.html

The winner does seem to feel that IT consultants are much superior to contractors. Perhaps he's right, but as an aging cynic I do get a bit twitchy when consultants start spouting management buzzwords and cliches like "driving change" etc.

Differences in how IT contractors and IT consultants are used by clients are, he pointed out, easy to identify.

Successful IT consultants set out a clear vision, articulate an approach, provide insight, raise issues but with solutions and “go the extra mile” to ensure successful delivery.

Whereas IT contractors, he said, are hired when clients are not able or keen to recruit full-time, and provide specific technical work. “The bigger picture” is lower down their brief.
    Or to put it another way, one talks about the work and earns £2000 per day and other does the work and earns a quarter of this.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Or to put it another way, one talks about the work and his company earns £2000 per day while he gets a small fraction of it and other does the work and earns a quarter of this.

HTH
      Sorry I had to make some slight corrections
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

He is a twat isnt he. Poor little wage slave has an inferiority complex.

But if they just deliver IT “safely within brief, nine-to-five, is unlikely to extend your scope as an individual and lead to you delivering higher value work.
        He has already sold his soul to Deloittes.. what an idiot. And he won best consultant? Doesnt say much for the rest of them does it.
        Asked about what IT contractors might learn from IT consultants, Mr Forrest replied: “I have observed relationships where there is a tendency to absolve oneself of problems outside of the immediate sphere of accountability.
        He is joking shirly? The ass clowns we have in frm Accenture wouldnt step outside a spec unless they write 400 more pages of documentation. Consultants all have documentation overload and common sense labotomy.
        Last edited by tay; 27 November 2007, 17:46.

Comment

I used to be a consultant, now I'm a contractor.

I know which I'd rather be, and so does my bank manager
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What a load of pathetic old balls. Real IT contractors turn up, fiddle about randomly with some cody thing for 12 months and escape to the next sucker before their total pointlessness is discovered.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              What a load of pathetic old balls. Real IT contractors turn up, fiddle about randomly with some cody thing for 12 months and escape to the next sucker before their total pointlessness is discovered.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                I thought it was only Milan like this.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I used to be a consultant, now I'm a contractor.

I know which I'd rather be, and so does my bank manager
                  Yup, same here.

Apparently with us contractors “The bigger picture” is lower down our briefs. What a load of carp.
                  Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                    Yup, same here.

Apparently with us contractors “The bigger picture” is lower down our briefs. What a load of carp.
                    It's all about synergies, the bigger picture, and business process synchronization really...
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X