• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is 'General' often this nasty?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 'General' often this nasty?

Despite my post count I am a newbie on Contractor UK. (The post count comes from using 'test please delete' as a sandpit to play in while I lurked elsewhere on this site.)

Yesterday's postings, specifically some threads in the 'General' area, seemed to be quite nasty.

The Bulletin Board Terms and Conditions at "http://www.contractoruk.com/about/bulletin_board.html" suggest a much more restrained approach than seems to occur here. I know rules are only guidelines but I am getting the impression this isn't somewhere I really want to be - the gap between my expectations and some of what I am seeing are immense.

To be blunt, I'm inclined to quietly close my account and go away, which is a shame, since the advice and support I have seen are extremely good.

But had I been a very new member here, I would have been appalled at what I had seen and left, never to return. I would have also been left with a VERY poor impression of UK contractors (unless I was a permie in which case it would have confirmed everything I already suspected). I would probably have tarred www.contractoruk.com with the same brush too.

Since everything on here is visible in Google, non-members are able to cheerfully find and browse these messages and some of what got said yesterday I would only expect to see in some of the less pleasant Usenet groups that are filled with adolescents and social drop-outs, not professionally employed people running their own businesses.

Am I misunderstanding what this 'General' area is for? Should I just quietly go away and explore the PCG fora instead?
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

To be blunt, I'm inclined to quietly close my account and go away.
    please close the door on your way out

Am I misunderstanding what this 'General' area is for? Should I just quietly go away and explore the PCG fora instead?
    Yes ...next

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

'morning Troll, I'll sort this.

To be blunt, I'm inclined to quietly close my account and go away, which is a shame, since the advice and support I have seen are extremely good.
      I think you're posting in the wrong thread. Chaps? Just where is the "attention seeking" thread? Can anyone show "BrowneIssue" the way?

Comment

Mr BrownIssue
        Rather than quote terms and conditions of the bulletin board and be an attention seeker, I suggest you utilise the Report to moderator functionality if you discover a truely nasty post directed at yourself.
        The bulletin board is no longer a new idea and indeed any IT contractor (or potential IT contractor) entering it will be familiar with the concept, and hence know that board grow a synergy and dynamic of its own, with relationships between posters not always clear to a first time poster. It takes time to understand what is nasty and what is not in a certain board context. It would be advisable to spend less time posting over a 1000 posts in a pointless social gossip thread and explore the rest of the board before complaining.
        Regards
        Helpful of London

Comment

Can we have examples of the 'nasty' posts.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
            Mr BrownIssue
            Rather than quote terms and conditions of the bulletin board and be an attention seeker, I suggest you utilise the Report to moderator functionality if you discover a truely nasty post directed at yourself.
            The bulletin board is no longer a new idea and indeed any IT contractor (or potential IT contractor) entering it will be familiar with the concept, and hence know that board grow a synergy and dynamic of its own, with relationships between posters not always clear to a first time poster. It takes time to understand what is nasty and what is not in a certain board context. It would be advisable to spend less time posting over a 1000 posts in a pointless social gossip thread and explore the rest of the board before complaining.
            Regards
            Helpful of London
            Yeah, what he said!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

You know its true.

Comment

PostsTotal Posts: 1,264 (37.35 posts per day)

WTF??? How is this possible? I mean we all know that Zeighty works in Edukashun and has no students, then there's AtW who doesn't (seem to) work and only has his squirrels for company but even they pale in comparison.

Are you on the bench or does your client really have such low expectations?

I'm stunned.

Comment

Nearly 34000 posts in Test Please Delete, looks like over half of that in the last month.

Zeits social outreach to the socially challenged is a stellar succes/failure.

Brownissue is a byproduct of that (pun intended)

Comment

From what I've seen yesterday was a particularly bad day. I was initially attracted to this forum because of some of the very sharp humour that can be found and of course some useful information even if you do have to go through some rather tedious and very condescending remarks to get it.

There seem to be a core of unpleasant individuals who go round in the same circles day in day out, handbags flailing. It just goes round and round and round and round

Then come the 'My God this forum's gone downhill' posts where the same handbags bash each other over the head some more until the bashing returns to the more common house prices/you're a thicko/my nation is better at sport than yours etc.

Stick to TPD I would
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X