• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are all taxi drivers scamming barstewards?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all taxi drivers scamming barstewards?

<rant>
    Generally when at home we dial the local cab company using any combination of numbers 7 and 5. They turn up after the obilgatory 2nd call to be told the driver is 'just around the corner', then they take you where you want to go by the quickest and most direct route.

Whenever I get into a taxi (rather than private hire) the driver seemingly always tries to take the pniss with the route.

Every week I get a taxi from the airport to office. Route through town is €30 and takes about half an hour or alt route on Motorway €50 and takes an hour. Every tuliping time the first thing they say on hearing the destination is 'motorway probably best then'. Like tulip it is!

This morning, taxi from hotel to office. Get to set of lights and I notice 'drive' is in the wrong lane. I point this out to be told that there are many ways to get there. Since I work on the opposite side of a big tuliping river I know there are only a certain number of crossing points, none of which are in the direction he wants to go.

I ask him which way will be quicker and he agrees that my way is. FFS!

It seems to be a UK/Euro thing as nowhere else in the world is it so relentless.
    </rant>

Discuss...

Or degenerate into another slanging match, I don't care.

you want to try the taxis in cyprus, you'll be lucky to get there alive in the clapped out old merc which has got holes in it so you can see the floor, and a drunk driver!!!

oh an yes they all take the p1ss with the fares, when in bratislava did the same journey countless times with prices ranging from 4 - 12 quid!!! then we found out its legal for everybody to carry guns. so naturally we didnt argue about price.
    cut me - ill bleed rosso red

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      <rant>
      Generally when at home we dial the local cab company using any combination of numbers 7 and 5. They turn up after the obilgatory 2nd call to be told the driver is 'just around the corner', then they take you where you want to go by the quickest and most direct route.

Whenever I get into a taxi (rather than private hire) the driver seemingly always tries to take the pniss with the route.

Every week I get a taxi from the airport to office. Route through town is €30 and takes about half an hour or alt route on Motorway €50 and takes an hour. Every tuliping time the first thing they say on hearing the destination is 'motorway probably best then'. Like tulip it is!

This morning, taxi from hotel to office. Get to set of lights and I notice 'drive' is in the wrong lane. I point this out to be told that there are many ways to get there. Since I work on the opposite side of a big tuliping river I know there are only a certain number of crossing points, none of which are in the direction he wants to go.

I ask him which way will be quicker and he agrees that my way is. FFS!

It seems to be a UK/Euro thing as nowhere else in the world is it so relentless.
      </rant>

Discuss...

Or degenerate into another slanging match, I don't care.
      Yes. Next

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
        Yes. Next
        Talk to the hand.

Comment

I always avoid using taxis where possible. Mainly for the reasons that Pondlife has described.

Comment

The permies over here (poland and czech repulic) learnt in thier "awareness training" that the taxi drivers like to nail it so you dont think they are taking the piss.

Personally I'd like to do less than 100 over cobbled streets.

Comment

Originally posted by poser View Post
              you want to try the taxis in cyprus, you'll be lucky to get there alive in the clapped out old merc which has got holes in it so you can see the floor, and a drunk driver!!!

oh an yes they all take the p1ss with the fares, when in bratislava did the same journey countless times with prices ranging from 4 - 12 quid!!! then we found out its legal for everybody to carry guns. so naturally we didnt argue about price.
              It is illegal to drive sober in Cyprus.

Taxi drivers are just ex-cons with attitude over there.

Comment

I got a taxi in London and asked the cabbie to drop me off at the DLR..he took a dodgy route and then said "I had no idea what the DLR is"...loonie.
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I ordered a taxi once from a taxi firm in Roskilde. Asked the driver to take me to Roskilde Cathedral. He didn't know where it was. Talk about being new to the job...
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

"It seems to be a UK/Euro thing as nowhere else in the world is it so relentless"

Had the same kind of thing in New York, with a yellow cab driver who knew less of the way than I did, and I was navigating based on films and tv

Comment

Working...
                    X