• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK population to double

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK population to double

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ds.homeaffairs

Britain's population could almost double to 108 million within 75 years, according to government projections published yesterday.

The Office for National Statistics said that, based on high estimates of growth in immigration, fertility and longevity, the current population of 60.5 million could rise to 75 million by 2031 and 108.7 million by 2081.

But the projections drawn up by the Government Actuary's Department to help Whitehall plan pension and welfare provision also show that in a scenario of low fertility, low life expectancy and low migration, the population would increase to 66 million by 2056 and then dip to 63 million by 2081.

The ONS says its "principal projection", the one it thinks most likely, is that Britain's population will reach 71 million within 25 years, 78 million within 50 years and 85 million by 2081. Statisticians have tentatively estimated that 69% of Britain's future population growth is likely to come directly or indirectly from migration including a rising birth rate attributed to a growing number of young migrants.

Think how lovely and cosy Britain will be then. Lots of people on the roads, crammed into tiny tiny Soviet style "affordable housing", shops packed. Bliss.

Boomed I tell yer.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

For the benefit of bag-o-pus.

Q. Where are they going to live?

A. In small houses and flats.

Q. Will they be buying these houses?

A. No, they can't get a mortgage to buy.

Q. Will they then be renting then?

A. Yes.

Q. Will this mean huge demand for BTL?

A. Yes.

Comment

In 75 years time I'll be well over one hundred. I reckon my concern around that time won't be the population increasing by double, and more about it decreasing by 1.

My 2c.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

You'll have plenty of home help to assist you in changing your soiled pants.

One less thing to worry about.

Thank god for New Labour and their zero tolerance to immigration controls.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            In 75 years time I'll be well over one hundred. I reckon my concern around that time won't be the population increasing by double, and more about it decreasing by 1.

My 2c.
            In seventy five years time, I think all I'll be concerned about is whether I managed to not piss myself and soil my underwear. Sort of like when you've been out on the lash at the moment then!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              For the benefit of bag-o-pus.

Q. Where are they going to live?

A. In small houses and flats.

Q. Will they be buying these houses?

A. No, they can't get a mortgage to buy.

Q. Will they then be renting then?

A. Yes.

Q. Will this mean huge demand for BTL?

A. Yes.

As others have pointed out we won't be here then. There is enough capacity for the time being as demonstrated by the falling property market, add to that all those bailing out when the recession hits, property investors and immigrants.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Troll, is that you hiding behind DP's desk?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Troll, is that you hiding behind DP's desk?
                  No he's under DP's desk. Accounts for the big grin on DP's face.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    No he's under DP's desk. Accounts for the big grin on DP's face.

Comment

Working...
                    X