• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train fares to rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train fares to rise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7116670.stm

Train companies have announced above-inflation rate fare increases.
    Season tickets, saver and standard day returns will rise by 4.8% on average, says the Association of Train Operating Companies (Atoc).

Others such as cheap day returns, long-distance open and advance fares will go up by 5.4%. The increases will come into effect in the New Year.

The Transport Salaried Staffs' Association said commuters travelling to London would be worst hit.

A weekly season ticket from Hayes in Kent to London will rise by 14.5% from £24.80 to £28.50.

A similar ticket from Bexleyheath into the capital will go up from £25.10 to £28.50 or 13%, and for commuters in Ashford, Kent, a London-bound journey will rise by 10.5% from £78.30 to £86.50 a week.

It seems to me that everything is "going up above the rate of inflation". Look at food prices, fuel prices, rents, etc.

It's almost as if the rate of inflation is a completely artificial government manipulated meaningless value.

The issue is that the trains are too crowded so they want people to use other modes of transport.

I think they mean cars

Comment

Roads are gridlocked.

Congestion charge is going up.

I think they want people to use trains.

Comment

Given the oustanding level of service, the cleanliness of the carriages and the fact that I always get a seat, and the train is not always a completely tuliping overcrowded, tardy tuliphole I think the rises are absolutely justified.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Didn't you win a prize last year or sumfink? Will you be entering this year?
          Last edited by Troll; 28 November 2007, 12:38.
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

my only complaint is that 1st class meals need improving, otherwise, overcrowding, seat size/space are all not so much a problem..

HTH
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Didn't you win a prize last year or sumfink?
              Biggest member of the year award or something.

I was funny then.

Comment

Here in Poland a return to Warsaw from Krakow bought on the day in First Class (reserved seat in a compartment) is £20 return!

Comment

Does the government subsidy also go up by the same amount. Besides all Londoners are over-paid investment bankers anyway. y'all can afford 'em, even at twice the price. We're lucky up here if the train can hold itself together for the entire journey. This morning it didn't..I ended up taking the bus..another travesty of privitisation.

Anybody ever think that if Labour wasn't in bed with the private operators, they might think that buying the TOCs out would be cheaper than the subsidy?
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

How is it that transporting passenger packed trains, from one fixed point to another, is so darned expensive? Maybe things would improve if the gov’t looked after the rails (as with roads) and private firms operate the trains?

Comment

Working...
                    X