PDA

View Full Version : Religion - Would the world be better off without it.

DimPrawn
29th November 2007, 21:48
See witty poll.

Troll
29th November 2007, 21:50
See witty poll.When?

Gonzo
29th November 2007, 21:55
I think that left to their own devices, human beings would be their own worst enemies. Religions have for the last couple of thousand years provided a structure that reigns in the worst tendencies.

I also think that they are redundant now, but that probably means that we will be in for a bit of turbulence until a new order of enlightenment is established.

So I voted I am AndyW.

BrowneIssue
29th November 2007, 22:47
Religions have for the last couple of thousand years provided a structure that reigns in the worst tendencies.

:laugh:rollin::laugh

Most excellent pun!

wendigo100
29th November 2007, 23:05
Religions are fine - it's the way many f***wits use them that is the problem.

Denny
29th November 2007, 23:30
Let's all pray for the end of religion then.

Diver
29th November 2007, 23:38
I think that left to their own devices, human beings would be their own worst enemies. Religions have for the last couple of thousand years provided a structure that reigns in the worst tendencies.

I also think that they are redundant now, but that probably means that we will be in for a bit of turbulence until a new order of enlightenment is established.

So I voted I am AndyW.

The inquisition
Aztec and Inca human sacrifice
etc. etc. etc ??? :D

Gonzo
29th November 2007, 23:41
:laugh:rollin::laugh

Most excellent pun!Unfortunately it wasn't a pun. I meant reins. :o

Gonzo
29th November 2007, 23:45
The inquisition
Aztec and Inca human sacrifice
etc. etc. etc ??? :DThe inquisition - the start of the end.
Aztec and Inca human sacrifice - It wasn't that long ago that a 30 year old was an old person. In those days, a long life was not the priority that it has become over the last thousand.

TimberWolf
29th November 2007, 23:46
I’m not into tribalism or any irrational beliefs or practices held by a human community, but if people enjoy watching football and it doesn’t affect me, then good on them. I think what religion you support is heavily influenced by ones environment and upbringing, for instance if you are American chances are you will worship baseball, and if Iranian executing Westerners, etc. They all serve the same basic human desires and needs, and just express it in slightly different ways.

Diver
30th November 2007, 00:07
I’m not into tribalism or any irrational beliefs or practices held by a human community, but if people enjoy watching football and it doesn’t affect me, then good on them. I think what religion you support is heavily influenced by ones environment and upbringing, for instance if you are American chances are you will worship baseball, and if Iranian executing Westerners, etc. They all serve the same basic human desires and needs, and just express it in slightly different ways.

American is second choice then :D

BrowneIssue
30th November 2007, 08:04
Unfortunately it wasn't a pun. I meant reins. :o

I know! That's why it is so funny! :laugh

NotAllThere
30th November 2007, 08:36
What about the option for disorganised and non-dogmatic religion.

I'd really like you join my religion. But if you don't want to, I won't force you. You can go to Hell.

BoredBloke
30th November 2007, 08:56
If there was no religion then there would be no Christmas. So no! For all the wars, death and suffering it has caused to countless millions of people I think religion is a good thing as once a year we get to celebrate the birth of some bloke over 2000 years ago on the 25th Dec. We get presents and eat ourselves to bursting point and give thought to all those who are not as fortunate as ourselves, including the starving in Africa, while we scrape a small mountain of food into the dogs If there was no religion then there would be no Christmas. So no. For all the wars, death and suffering it has caused to countless millions of people I think religion is a good thing as once a year we get to celebrate the birth of some bloke over 2000 years ago on the 25th Dec. We get presents and eat ourselves to bursting point and give a thought to all those who are not as fortunate as ourselves, including the starving in Africa, while we scrape a small mountain of food into the dogs bowl.

We also we get to celebrate his death and rising again by eating chocolate, delivered by an egg distributing rabbit an a different day each year depending on where the moon happens to be.

BrowneIssue
30th November 2007, 09:05
... Christmas ... Easter ...

And don't forget the Harvest Festival, where tins of own-brand Baked Beans and Fray Bentos canned meat pies are gathered in from the fields for the benefit of privately-run old people's homes.

Bright Spark
30th November 2007, 09:08
No religion would mean less public holidays = more chargeable days
to invoice client :D.

wobbegong
30th November 2007, 09:10
Religion is just a question of who's got the best imaginary friend.

BoredBloke
30th November 2007, 09:15
And don't forget the Harvest Festival, where tins of own-brand Baked Beans and Fray Bentos canned meat pies are gathered in from the fields for the benefit of privately-run old people's homes.

Ahh harvest festival - simply wouldn't be the same if cans had a use by date. These people fought in the war so that I could give them old packets of Birds instant custard.

KathyWoolfe
30th November 2007, 10:01
If religion didn't exist someone, somewhere, would invent it

SueEllen
30th November 2007, 12:42
Ahh harvest festival - simply wouldn't be the same if cans had a use by date. These people fought in the war so that I could give them old packets of Birds instant custard.

I use to give them tins of spam as a child.

I recently discovered that some of those people who were around in the world war actually like it.:eek:

John Galt
30th November 2007, 12:48
At the end of the day even if there was no religion people would still do bad things - they just wouldn't have such a good excuse for doing it

SallyAnne
30th November 2007, 13:00
I think in today's world, we associate organised religion with bad things: -

terrorists
priests abusing kids
suicide pacts
a pope that looks like satan

etc etc

But I still voted for option 2.
A lot of people use their religion as a force of good to guide them through life - I respect that so much, and would never want that taken away from them.
They use it to teach their kids a set of values, to live a righteous path. That's the common theme which is present throughout all religions, and why they should be protected.

NotAllThere
30th November 2007, 13:14

I'm puzzled by statements such as this. How do you know? Presumably, atheists have no friends. Agnostics don't know if they have any friends.

Religion is a prime motivator to do good things, as well as bad, so perhaps if there was no religion the world would contain the same amount of evil.

KathyWoolfe
30th November 2007, 13:18
I think in today's world, we associate organised religion with bad things: -

terrorists
priests abusing kids
suicide pacts
a pope that looks like satan

etc etc

But I still voted for option 2.
A lot of people use their religion as a force of good to guide them through life - I respect that so much, and would never want that taken away from them.
They use it to teach their kids a set of values, to live a righteous path. That's the common theme which is present throughout all religions, and why they should be protected.

It isn't the fault of religion that the world is in so much turmoil. It is those people who try and force their opinions on everyone else saying "if you don't believe in what I believe in then you don't deserve to live" - or some similar rubbish.
If they didn't have religion to be aggressive about then they would find some other excuse to justify their view of their own "supremacy"

tay
30th November 2007, 13:23
I do occasionally still have "Better not just in case there is a god and he is paying attention moments" .. which stop me doing things I shouldnt.

I blame my mother sending me to the local Presbytarian Sunday School.. although I did get in trouble for claiming it was my birthday every second week just so I could get a chocolate. :emb

BankingContractor
30th November 2007, 13:47

Its not only religion. I mean we create a whole industry around Father Christmas and how he mysteriously comes down the chimney with our presents.

And then we tell our kids about the magical Tooth Fairy who leaves us money under the pillow.

And lets not mention the leprechauns at the bottom of the garden.

And we do all this by deliberately lying to our kids - at least the religious nuts think they're right, we just tell porkies. Why?

wendigo100
30th November 2007, 13:59
I always think the more hedonistic the benefits, the more crackpot the religion.

Like, 72 virgins? Or the one that promises escape on a spaceship when Earth is destroyed?

Diver
30th November 2007, 14:01
I always think the more hedonistic the benefits, the more crackpot the religion.

Like, 72 virgins? Or the one that promises escape on a spaceship when Earth is destroyed?

Yeh, that 72 virgin thing. Doesn't say they are female :D

They could male ex cuk'ers

BoredBloke
30th November 2007, 14:06
Does it even say that they are human?

TimberWolf
30th November 2007, 14:12

You mean the real nutters are just in it for the prophet?

KathyWoolfe
30th November 2007, 14:18
And then we tell our kids about the magical Tooth Fairy who leaves us money under the pillow.

You mean it's not true? :eek

wendigo100
30th November 2007, 14:52
You mean the real nutters are just in it for the prophet?That's f***ing good for a Friday afternoon! :D

TimberWolf
30th November 2007, 14:53
Yes, it was almost a joke :)

Bagpuss
30th November 2007, 15:08
If you have no religion then you create a void and humans need something to fill the void. Religion creates a belief system that seeks to rationalize life i.e it does make sense and we all have a purpose in the great scheme of things When in reality life is a meaningless concept, we are randomly born into this world, we do our best to enjoy it while not really understanding what it is about, if it is indeed about anything. You take this away and the weak minded get confused.

It's no coincidence that the decline of religion has coincided with the rise of the cult of celebrity the lifestyle 'religons', and the 'cult of me' .Idiots are the new idols and Heat magazine is the new altar.

Be it a choice between the celulite shocker of someone who once apeared on Z list celebrity love island dancing jungle and some stories with some moral virtue I'd rather have the later

TimberWolf
30th November 2007, 15:14
Be it a choice between the celulite shocker of someone who once apeared on Z list celebrity love island dancing jungle and some stories with some moral virtue I'd rather have the later

Okay, I take it you don't like Z list celebrity love island dancing jungle and heat magazine, but they aren't the only choices!

sasguru
30th November 2007, 16:10
I like religion. It keepsh me in whishky.

BrowneIssue
30th November 2007, 18:49
Does it even say that they are human?

An eternity with 72 virgin Zeitghosts!!! :eek: