• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skills shortage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skills shortage?

http://www.jobserve.com/WB2D905A22865E6BF.job

"Junior Project Coordinator - please do not apply if you are a Project Manager - this really is a junior role."

That in itself gets me cross. I know they mean "the rate is completely daffodils" but isn't that the contractor's decision? I thought the big selling point of employing contractors was you get more than you ask for? (Personally I'd rather go and do this for 3 months than keep sitting on the bench.)

The detail of the role then goes on to say "experience with MS Project, Excel spreadsheets and project milestones. You will have experience of working on numerous concurrent projects. You will have the experience and skills to take close control of all aspects of the project reporting from budgets, timescales and project plans. The role requires that you be aware of risks, issues and timescales associated with the project and be able to take steps to attain satisfactory quality levels."

That list of expectations is more than some of the project managers I have worked with are capable of. The reality is, they want a fairly new project manager, perhaps done the training but not got the job yet.

As far as I can see, this whole 'skills shortage' thing is a load of old cobblers.

Discuss.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

"Junior Project Coordinator - please do not apply if you are a Project Manager - this really is a junior role."

That in itself gets me cross. I know they mean "the rate is completely daffodils" but isn't that the contractor's decision? I thought the big selling point of employing contractors was you get more than you ask for? (Personally I'd rather go and do this for 3 months than keep sitting on the bench.)

The detail of the role then goes on to say "experience with MS Project, Excel spreadsheets and project milestones. You will have experience of working on numerous concurrent projects. You will have the experience and skills to take close control of all aspects of the project reporting from budgets, timescales and project plans. The role requires that you be aware of risks, issues and timescales associated with the project and be able to take steps to attain satisfactory quality levels."

That list of expectations is more than some of the project managers I have worked with are capable of. The reality is, they want a fairly new project manager, perhaps done the training but not got the job yet.

As far as I can see, this whole 'skills shortage' thing is a load of old cobblers.

Discuss.
    Are you this happy at home?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If you want the job so badly, just dumb down your CV.

Comment

If you need a hand dumbing down, ask Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

Discuss.
          It comes under the "OVER QUALIFIED" umbrella. The project manager is terrified of competition
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

They’re trying it on, it makes me think of all the ads asking for 1st line helpdesk saying “you will have” MCSE, at least 2 years banking experience, degree etc etc all for £12/h…

Who’s saying there’s a skills shortage?
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

What are they trying on?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                If you need a hand dumbing down, ask Milan.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

They'll soon realise the truth of the old saying "You get what you pay for".
                  Not that I'm bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                    What are they trying on?
                    recruitment agents?

Sunglasses and Armani suits most probably
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X