• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Age laws in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age laws in the UK

Whats the age law in England for going into a pub? Here in Germany there isn't really any and you can drink beer (no spirits) from the age of 16. As I'm going to be in London next week with my son, who happens to be 16, I want to go out of an evening and not leave him stuck in a hotel room.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

18yrs for a pub.

I think if you go for a meal, then the boy can drink wine/beer at the table.

Comment

I thought age discrimination had been banned in the UK?

Oh, its a serious question. Strictly speaking a person has to be 18 to buy alcohol in licensed premises such as a pub or off licence.

There is nothing to stop him going in to the pub with you.

I am not sure whether or not the law prevents you from purchasing alcohol and giving it to him to drink. There used to be some arcane laws where children weren't allowed into the bar, but could go into the restaurant, and it was legal for them to drink cider but not beer. I have a suspicion that these have been changed in recent years.

Since he is 16, I can't see that anyone is going to notice or even care. Just don't send him to the bar when its his round.

Comment

You said 'England'. Note, 'England' is not the UK: the rules are different in Scotland.

The relevant legislation is the Licensing Act 2003 which came into force in November 2005.

Anyone 14 or over accompanied by someone 18 or over can go onto licensed premises and have soft drinks at the licencee's discretion.

16 and 17 year olds can drink, but not buy, beer, cider and wine when having a substantial table meal (provided that they are accompanied by someone aged 18 or over who buys the alcohol for them). [this rule seems to be known by virtually nobody.]

So, a 16 year old can go into a pub with you - but ask the landlord if it is OK. Said 16 year old can even share a bottle of wine with you over a meal. Alternatively, sit there drinking coke and eating crisps all night.

So it is much the same as Germany, really. Except we've got better beer but far worse lager. Please, do NOT drink the lager.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
          You said 'England'. Note, 'England' is not the UK: the rules are different in Scotland.

The relevant legislation is the Licensing Act 2003 which came into force in November 2005.

Anyone 14 or over accompanied by someone 18 or over can go onto licensed premises and have soft drinks at the licencee's discretion.

16 and 17 year olds can drink, but not buy, beer, cider and wine when having a substantial table meal (provided that they are accompanied by someone aged 18 or over who buys the alcohol for them). [this rule seems to be known by virtually nobody.]

So, a 16 year old can go into a pub with you - but ask the landlord if it is OK. Said 16 year old can even share a bottle of wine with you over a meal. Alternatively, sit there drinking coke and eating crisps all night.

So it is much the same as Germany, really. Except we've got better beer but far worse lager. Please, do NOT drink the lager.
          To be clear, does the Licencing Act 2003 that you refer to cover England or Scotland?

Since the OP will be staying in London I don't think that the Scottish rules will interest him.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
            I thought their presence at any age is at the licencee's discretion. My son first started accompanying me to the pub after training when he was eight, in 2002.

Drinking alcohol is obviously another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              Since the OP will be staying in London I don't think that the Scottish rules will interest him.
              Oh, THAT London.

Ahem.

Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Thanks for that, we'll play it by ear (well, mouth actually) and see what happens. If you see a news item about rampaging drunken Anglo German boozehounds, you'll know who it is...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I went to a pub yesterday lunchtime and somebody turned up with her 5-year old daughter. The landlord told them they didn't have a licence and would have to leave, which she did after grumbling about it for a while.

When I was young we were never allowed in pubs, I think the only exception was the bar of a hotel we were staying at. When did it all change?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I went to a pub yesterday lunchtime and somebody turned up with her 5-year old daughter. The landlord told them they didn't have a licence and would have to leave, which she did after grumbling about it for a while.

When I was young we were never allowed in pubs, I think the only exception was the bar of a hotel we were staying at. When did it all change?
                    The same rule change that removed the restriction on opening hours made a number of other adjustments as well.

From what I can make out, childred (under 16) are allowed into a pub so long as they are accompanied by an adult.

16 and 17 year olds are permitted beer, wine or cider provided they are accompanied by an adult and it is served with a sit down meal.

It is now an offence for you to purchase alcohol if you are under 18, where previously it was the licencee committing the offence by serving it (although that is still an offence too).

EDIT: So in fact everything that BrowneIssue put in his post will apply in London too.
                    Last edited by Gonzo; 1 December 2007, 12:52.

Comment

Working...
                    X