• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you turn up on site without a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you turn up on site without a contract?

Working for a client and my contract ends today, but a renewal has been agreed. However, the agency have yet to send me or my umbrella company a contract.

The agent reckons its been posted last week, emailed again this week but as yet nothing has turned up. Now he's not returning my email or phone calls.

I've now contacted someone else at the agency and am waiting to hear what's going on.

Legally I'm pretty sure I don't want to be turning up on the client site Monday morning without having seen the contract - I'm not insured for one thing.

So the question is - would you turn up at a client without the contract in place? Has anyone else been in this situation?

Originally posted by rb621 View Post
    Working for a client and my contract ends today, but a renewal has been agreed. However, the agency have yet to send me or my umbrella company a contract.

The agent reckons its been posted last week, emailed again this week but as yet nothing has turned up. Now he's not returning my email or phone calls.

I've now contacted someone else at the agency and am waiting to hear what's going on.

Legally I'm pretty sure I don't want to be turning up on the client site Monday morning without having seen the contract - I'm not insured for one thing.

So the question is - would you turn up at a client without the contract in place? Has anyone else been in this situation?
    yes, and yes I've done it.

Whether I should have or not is a different question.

What you have to ask yourself is - are the agency trying to shaft you ro are they just incompetant ?

And why would you not be insured ? If the client allows you onto their site then it's really their problem if you're not insured ?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

If you have emails indicating the renewal then you should be OK. Furthermore I would speak directly to the client to get their point of view, i.e. do they want you in or not? You might hack them off royally by not coming in. If the client was to chase the agency then you might get a result quicker.

Comment

In that situation 2 months ago with Alex Mann so did not turn up for the extension. Good job I did not turn up as Alex Mann had modified the T&C's without telling me and by turning up I would have in effect signed something I did not want to. The new contract came a few days after the extension start. The new T&C's made it even more difficult to get paid so had the T&C's modified before turning up.

Comment

2nd Tazman... make sure the client is clear on the situation, it keeps them onside (and hell, they're the ones you work with everyday). but also, email comms seems goo enough these days to accept a contract 'in principal' until you've got another one.

btw, i heard once that if you continue to work under the contract t & c's for less than 6 months after it expires, you're not seen to be bound by them? is that true? (or am i bolloxing it up again)

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
            If you have emails indicating the renewal then you should be OK. Furthermore I would speak directly to the client to get their point of view, i.e. do they want you in or not? You might hack them off royally by not coming in. If the client was to chase the agency then you might get a result quicker.
            Yes I've spoken to the client as I wanted to confirm with them that they had instructed the agency and they have. My umbrella company takes a different view and is recommending that the contract needs to have been received by them. They state that without the contract in place I can't invoice.

I'm hoping its just an administrative cock up but its just another example of "below average" service.

Comment

I personally don't. I personally blame the liability/indeminty insurance not being valid thing....

Tell them to fax you a signed copy of the contract, that's pretty much instantaneous.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Have done it and have invoiced as well, verbal contract (even better if e-mail) and they have paid.

Comment

On occasion I've done it for a renewal I've seen all the other paperwork on and know is happening for certain

A large multinational oil company of previous experience won't let you on site without a contract in play - stating their insurance doesn't cover you

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    I personally don't. I personally blame the liability/indeminty insurance not being valid thing....

Tell them to fax you a signed copy of the contract, that's pretty much instantaneous.
                    Apparently the agency can't get at my contract because it's sitting in the agents email and they can't get into his mail. He's "not there" which might mean he's out of the office, on the loo or has left.

Rubbish - is that any way to run a business?
                    What fun!

Comment

Working...
                    X