• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy Saving Bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy Saving Bulbs

Anyone else taken the leap and replaced all their bulbs with the new energy saving ones? I've just sat down and costed it up. I reckon I'll see a break-even after about 40 weeks with our usage.

The "normal" BC bulbs from Tesco are dirt cheap these days, and they have a 3 for 2 offer. Great, but only a fraction of my bulbs aren't candle, golf ball, R50's or dimmer driven..... Difference is massive.

Tesco 60W (11W) bulb - £1.68
    MegaMan 9W Dimmable candle bulb - £10.52

Best place for "non-standard" bulbs I found was ebulb, Tescos for the rest.

Anyone found a cheaper supplier that might do a bulk discount ?
    Last edited by johhnysalad; 2 December 2007, 14:47.
    Regards, J.

If God didn't want us to use so much energy, why did he invent it?

As for your incandescent globes, you've been taken for a ride.

Comment

Al Gore for the win.

Comment

I appreciate than any of the following activity is frounded upon;
        • Green tendencies
        • Left wing tendencies
        • Liberal tendencies

... and that list could go on and on. But I thought that the general tight fistedness of contractors would have meant that us lot would have been the first to have jumped for this (££££).

Having said that I suspect that most of you miserable gits sit in the dark with a small candle providing light. Or you're stealing the neighbours leccy.

Regards, J.

Comment

I'm at about 80% energy efficient bulbs, just through waiting for the old ones to pop and replacing them as & when.

I haven't found a cheap supplier, but lots of companies just give them out for free every now and again. British Gas have given me at least one, and so have Sainsbury's.

Comment

Stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

Just joking. I use two, in places where I lights are on for longish periods and where I don't need instant or good light. It's a shame people don't come in low energy versions, since they use more power than a 100 watt bulb.

Factoid alert: The sun releases enough energy in one second to power the Earth for a million years, or so I've heard, not actually having bothered doing the calculation myself.

Comment

Speaking of which how many of you guys are still using a CRT monitor and TV? If not what are you using instead: LCD, plasma, projector, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Speaking of which how many of you guys are still using a CRT monitor and TV? If not what are you using instead: LCD, plasma, projector, etc?
                No longer have a CRT monitor but do have a big screen CRT TV.
                Still think the picture quality on it stands upto those on panels (in non HD mode).

Comment

I got fed up of the steady energy price increases (and the general "climb" of my monthly direct debit). I went on a bit of an "energy saving mission" about 8 months ago.

I've replaced all the bulbs in my house with energy saving ones. I also bought a decent watt meter and measured all of the devices in the house, sat down and stuck the lot into a spreadsheet and worked out the costs to see where all my money was going and which appliances were the gas guzzlers.

Two of my CRT tv's had a high standby draw, so I swapped those with LCD's, their total standby current is less than 1W. The office PC consumes lots (about 280W) and I used to leave that on 24x7. Now I've enabled the power management and it hibernates after an hour.

That alone has saved £20 a month on the direct debit. I've now fitted new heating controls and thermostat valves on the radiators and thats making even more of a difference.

I'm now planning on ditching the fridge freezer and separate drinks fridge and replacing it with a larger and more efficient appliance. That should make yet more difference.

It's worth doing I think but have look at other areas in your house where you're wasting electricity too. I used to leave everything on without a care in the world, but when the energy company keep taking more and more money off you, you start to care about what you're using.
                  Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

I stopped using the central heating a year or two ago when prices went sky high, and don't really miss it. In efffect I get free underfloor heating from the flats below me. My last quarterly gas bill was about £1.34, and I have a £30 or so credit to use up. My last electric bill was around £60 though, of which I guess the majority comes from the fridge/freezer,computer and TV. Most of my stuff is old CRT technology, but isn't going to be replaced until it either breaks or I win the lottery. The latter being unlikely since I don't buy lottery tickets.

Comment

Working...
                    X