• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dammit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dammit

Just got offered an extension, but I wanted to negotiate the rate by reducing the agents margin.. the agent asked how much I wanted .. I made the newbie mistake of starting with my top figure... and he almost bit my hand off in accepting it.

Should have seen what they would offer first... dammit. Anybody would think I have never negotiated with an agent before.

I blame monday morning stupidity.

Now I have conflicted emotions as I got my top rate, but could have got more.

Moral of the story.. always get them to make an offer first.. bt we all knew that already didnt we...

Originally posted by tay View Post
    Just got offered an extension, but I wanted to negotiate the rate by reducing the agents margin.. the agent asked how much I wanted .. I made the newbie mistake of starting with my top figure... and he almost bit my hand off in accepting it.

Should have seen what they would offer first... dammit. Anybody would think I have never negotiated with an agent before.

I blame monday morning stupidity.

Now I have conflicted emotions as I got my top rate, but could have got more.

Moral of the story.. always get them to make an offer first.. bt we all knew that already didnt we...
    Tut tut, never do anything on a Monday even if it's non work stuff.

ps. I thought you were retiring ?

Comment

ps. I thought you were retiring ?
      That is Nov 2008, be ready by April, but may as well have a NH summer then a SH summer.

Comment

That is Nov 2008, be ready by April, but may as well have a NH summer then a SH summer.
        Why not go home now for SH summer then come back for a NH summer, then repeat the process. That's what I'm trying to do
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Why not go home now for SH summer then come back for a NH summer, then repeat the process. That's what I'm trying to do
          We couldnt afford that. But it is a great lifestyle, good on you if you manage it. We thought about contracting ion the UK for 6 months over summer, then having 6 months in the SH summer as a holiday, but the wife wants to start a family and thinks its a bad idea

Comment

but the wife wants to start a family and thinks its a bad idea
            It is a bad idea!!!

It's gonna cost you...

Comment

It is a bad idea!!!
              Disagree

It's gonna cost you...
              Agree

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                I managed do pull it off for about 5 or 6 years at one stage but it was in the '.Net' glory days when I could treat clients with disdain and pick and choose at will. Last time I went over to Oz there wasn't a sniff of a contract. I'm now saddled with 2 kids and resigned to NH winters !

Comment

Queenstown looks pretty at the moment.

Comment

Queenstown looks pretty at the moment.
                    Definately could notafford Queenstown. That place is a playground for the rich.

You are right though, it is lovely.

Comment

Working...
                    X