• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'kin builders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'kin builders

A while ago we had builders in to redo the kitchen. Since paying I have noticed a few things which I'm not happy with.

1 - I took the front off the light switches on a wall they replastered. I can see the old wall paper underneath, meaning that they have plastered onto the old wall paper. Presumably this means that when the paste holding that paper on gives up, so the plaster will fall off the wall.

2 - We had a utility room built. The door frame he put in is falling to bits. There are huge gaps in it, too big to fill with wood filler etc.

3 - He laid a floor which cracked. We got him back to relay it. It now has a significant slope in it in one corner of the room.

Does anybody know how to handle things like this. This guy was recommended by the company we bought the kitchen from and was supposed to have a really good reputation. The electrician who we had on the job who has worked with this guy for years was shocked at the quality of the job he had done on our kitchen.

I'm not happy as this has cost about £20k and is full of niggling little faults.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    A while ago we had builders in to redo the kitchen. Since paying I have noticed a few things which I'm not happy with.

1 - I took the front off the light switches on a wall they replastered. I can see the old wall paper underneath, meaning that they have plastered onto the old wall paper. Presumably this means that when the paste holding that paper on gives up, so the plaster will fall off the wall.

2 - We had a utility room built. The door frame he put in is falling to bits. There are huge gaps in it, too big to fill with wood filler etc.

3 - He laid a floor which cracked. We got him back to relay it. It now has a significant slope in it in one corner of the room.

Does anybody know how to handle things like this. This guy was recommended by the company we bought the kitchen from and was supposed to have a really good reputation. The electrician who we had on the job who has worked with this guy for years was shocked at the quality of the job he had done on our kitchen.

I'm not happy as this has cost about £20k and is full of niggling little faults.
    Ring the builder, explain the problems, if he wants to keep his reputation he'll turn up and fix them.

You've got loads of options available if he falls at the first(second - he should've done it properly in the first place) hurdle.

Comment

Learn to do it all yourself - builders are the biggest set of legalised crooks out there (including rec cons).

They make IT contractors look professional ffs.

Charge what they like, turn up and leave when they like, bugger off to other jobs mid-job, do a carp job, get you to make cheques out in their kid's name, blatantly evading tax.

Hope the feckers all get hit by the impending recession, 'course then they will all be pleading poverty (and claiming benefits while working no doubt)

Comment

We got him back to relay the floor amongst other things. We left him a key as we were away for the night. When we got back he had done one of the jobs we listed but then left the back door of the house unlocked (overnight) and he had gone home with the only key. It was especially annoying as the house next door to me had been robbed the week before.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

We got him back to relay the floor amongst other things. We left him a key as we were away for the night. When we got back he had done one of the jobs we listed but then left the back door of the house unlocked (overnight) and he had gone home with the only key. It was especially annoying as the house next door to me had been robbed the week before.
          Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever leave workmen unattended in your home. Ever.

I did.

DO NOT DO IT.

You'll be discovering unpleasant surprises for months.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Is he a member of a tradesmens guild?

Get the fecker sorted!

Comment

I had builder in recently.

Absolutely tulipe workmanship.

The team of "builders" consisted on 4 x 17 year olds and two Polish plumbers.

Oh Dear.

They had to redo most of the work several times over before I would pay the bill and still some of it is "iffy" to say the least.

The owner of the company was a smooth talker and certainly gave a convincing pitch.

Khoonts the lot of em.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever leave workmen unattended with your wife. Ever.

I did.

DO NOT DO IT.

Comment

20k for a kitchen, bloody hell

Trading standards job
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally Posted by BrowneIssue
                    Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever leave workmen unattended with your wife. Ever.

I did.

DO NOT DO IT.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    What, you mean like tools left behind and things like that?

Comment

Working...
                    X