• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP I've just started this job and I don't have the skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP I've just started this job and I don't have the skills

Just started a new contract and the work involves doing up somone's kitchen, however I've never done any building work in my life. I started today by plasting over the wallpaper. Is there any books I can read to get up to speed with this building lark?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Just started a new contract and the work involves doing up somone's kitchen, however I've never done any building work in my life. I started today by plasting over the wallpaper. Is there any books I can read to get up to speed with this building lark?
    Just put in a sloping floor and it will take their attention away from the wallpaper!

HTH
    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Play nicely.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planning-Fit...6699136&sr=8-1
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nice try

Why don't you become an IT contractor instead?
        Lots of ex-builders have managed it (some even post here)

Comment

plastering

Are

HTH
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            plastering

Are

HTH
            Well, Is there any books?
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Well, Is there any books?
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastering-J...6700015&sr=1-1

It probably contains too many large words for you.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Or call Tommy Walsh or DIY SOS or Trinny & Susannah.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It probably contains too many large words for you.

Are you trying to discombobulate
                  me?

Note to self: remember some geeks take everything literally
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 3 December 2007, 16:51.

Comment

I know somebody who obviously has a dummies guide to building. Perhaps that will be a good starting point. I don't think he ever used it. Hopefully it will have lots of pictures in it to help you along.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X