• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning down work events politely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning down work events politely

I'm getting repeatedly asking to go along to a client christmas bowling event. Fair enough but it isn't really my idea of fun. If it was an event during the working day I'd go along but I'd don't work for free at night.

They keep going on about how all the food and drink is free like it is some huge deal. I don't expect Mr Jones from the client management team to come out on the pull with me at the weekend so why should I come along with them.

If I was trying to charm them then I suppose I would go but I have a new role lined up for Jan 1st so i'm not really bothered.

Do you guys go along to client work events? Am I just a miserable so and so?

I usually go. I have no shame.

Comment

I go but pay my own way (mostly).

I'm expecting a good night next week...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I think I must be just a bit of a miserable git.

I am in a hotel here during the week so hard to make excuses.

I just don't enjoy it. I don't feel comfortable. I don't really like mixing work and play.

Me and a few of the younger guys went out last week. Got wasted , chatted up the local talent, etc (badly)... but going bowling with grandad and the meeting merchants isn't my idea of a fun night.

Comment

I go and I schmooze and charm, a couple of hours social time makes work alot easier. But I am a bit of an extrovert and will happily talk to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
            I go and I schmooze and charm, a couple of hours social time makes work alot easier. But I am a bit of an extrovert and will happily talk to anyone.
            Annoying git
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
              Plus bowling involves taking your shoes off - so it's win win

Comment

Each to their own.

Tell them that you've just found out that a friend is coming to town that night and you'd made plans.

Or tell them you got a better offer. If you say it as if you're joking, they probably won't probe what it is. If they do, tell them you're cutting your toenails. If you say it with some humour in your voice, they get the message.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Tell them you're booked up entertaining another client. Or that you're just booked up but don't tell them why. Or that your company has a policy of not taking inducements from its consulting customers in order to fully retain independence. Anything that leaves you looking vastly more professional than them is a win.

Comment

I don't go to work events at my current place because a) I don't get paid for it , b) it feels too much like work and c) the dept manager will spend the next six months reminding his staff that he bought them a cheap meal and a round of drinks on the company credit card.

At my last place I was quite happy to go (and not get paid) because they are a fun bunch of people to spend an evening with.

I suggest you invent a (trouser) pressing alternative engagement for that evening.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X