• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Romans invented contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Romans invented contracting

Nuff said....

http://armsandinfluence.typepad.com/...aries_aux.html

Legionaries, auxiliaries, and mercenaries

IN THE NEWS
    The Roman army consisted of three types of troops: legionaries, strictly "Roman" units, the core of the legion; the auxiliaries, drawn from conquered or allied people, often performing the duties as cavalry or archers at which the Romans were less adroit; and mercenaries, occasionally hired to fill a temporary manpower shortage on campaign, or to handle a highly specialized task. This system worked very well, as centuries of Roman conquests can attest.

Why am I talking about the Roman army under the banner, "IN THE NEWS"? Because the United States now has a military that is moving toward the Roman model.

I don't think many Americans see or understand this transformation. Daily evidence—"contractors" killed in Fallujah, the use of hastily-trained Afghan troops to encircle the Tora Bora stronghold in Afghanistan—don't fit into any larger picture. Not every service is moving in this direction, but the Army certainly is. Meanwhile, the average American is convinced that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are being fought by American soldiers, when in reality many traditional military functions are now in the hands of the modern equivalents of auxiliaries and mercenaries.
    [...]
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Note that the egyptian society instead was stuck for centuries in a permanent employment society (lots of slaves, a few slaves whippers slightly better paid and a very few hugely paid in return of no work)...
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Perhaps not.

Linky

Looks like just the Romans indulged in slavery.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Perhaps not.

Linky

Looks like just the Romans indulged in slavery.
        From the article:

"For many years, it was presumed that in ancient Egypt, the Great Pyramids at Giza were built by many thousands of foreign slaves, toiling under very harsh conditions over a period of decades. Today, many scholars refute this picture of ancient Egypt, believing instead that they were built by the free Egyptians themselves, some perhaps as seasonal conscripts with other artisans consigned permanently to the projects. One must also consider just how the Egyptians would really control so many slaves in one location with the rudimentary weapons of the Old Kingdom. "

And that's what they will write in 2000 years from now:

"For many years, it was presumed that in ancient Europe in 2000 AC, the Great Consultancies were built by many thousands of foreign slaves, toiling under very harsh conditions over a period of decades. Today, many scholars refute this picture of ancient Europe, believing instead that they were built by the free europeans themselves, mostly perhaps with a special paper called contract of permanent employment. One must also consider just how the Europeans would really control so many slaves in one location with the rudimentary weapons of Redundancy and Outsourcing"

Comment

I am sure I read somewhere that the swiss banking industry grew from looking after the money of mercenaries.

Is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I am sure I read somewhere that the swiss banking industry grew from looking after the money of mercenaries.

Is this true?
            They would take the money from everybody so it doesn't surprise me. However, again the romans invented this with Vespasiano - the emperor who made money out of public toilets who said that "pecunia non olet" (money doesn't smell).

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
              From the article:

"For many years, it was presumed that in ancient Egypt, the Great Pyramids at Giza were built by many thousands of foreign slaves, toiling under very harsh conditions over a period of decades. Today, many scholars refute this picture of ancient Egypt, believing instead that they were built by the free Egyptians themselves, some perhaps as seasonal conscripts with other artisans consigned permanently to the projects. One must also consider just how the Egyptians would really control so many slaves in one location with the rudimentary weapons of the Old Kingdom. "
              I suspect they also used animals and the wheel. But I base this opinion mainly on a lack of evidence and any knowledge of prehistory.

Comment

Working...
              X