• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yes for Putin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes for Putin

President Vladimir Putin's party won a landslide victory in a parliamentary election, official results showed on Monday, giving him a mandate to shape Russia's political landscape after his second term ends next year.

Putin

Well I suppose the question to be asked is, is Putin this popular becuase he does not tolerate any opposition and controls the media or is he popular in spite of these things.

It appears he has imporved the lives of many Russians and I think the that "stability and prosperity before democracy" would be the realistic viewpoint most people would adopt.

Lets put is this way, I didnt see people running and shouting, "Yayyy Brownnnnn for England" when Gordo took over.

I think generally he has given Russians a reason to be proud of being Russian and a lot of the general populace seem to like that.

Then again, as my experiences in EE always show me, as someone with "Western" ideals, that I should never ever form an opinion about anything, because you have to be from Eastern Europe to understand the place.

Its funny, maybe I am giving in to all the rhetoric but I find it hard, even though the most complementary way to say it is that he has a heavy hand, not to respect him as a leader. Possibly its down to dissapointment and cynicism with our own lot
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Or did he rig the vote as is being widely reported by independent observers....

Comment

AtW would know...

Comment

Working...
        X