• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Canada

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Canada

Does anybody have any experience of working in Canada on a contract? In particular, in Liability/Indemnity insurance?

Thanks,
    Olaf Dunn
    Mobile Industry Blog: http://www.wirelessroundup.com

I think there have been a couple of threads on this already...but can't get time to find them for you.

I've never had indemnity when I was working as a contractor. If someone asks for it, bribe 'em with a bottle of scotch.

have a look at

http://www.naccb.ca/

there is a links page there that can provide you more info.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Ban 'im... he posted useful information in General...
      wot e said ... but with a pitchfork going yay yay
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I looked into contracting out there, didn't get as far sorting out insurances as I soon found out that you can't get a job without a work permit and, guess what! You can't get a work permit without a job!

If you have skills that are in extreme shortage, or going out there because your current role requires you to work there then you should be ok. Otherwise, companies are (from the experience I had) very reticent to sponsor you for a permit and the agencies (like over here) want proof you are allowed to work in Canada before they'll even consider talking to you.

Plan B is to apply for residency and brush up on your French to boost your points but this route can take up to five years if you don't have a job lined up.

Good luck, it'll be worth it if you get there!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Plan B is to apply for residency and brush up on your French to boost your points but this route can take up to five years if you don't have a job lined up.
          It may be quicker to go there on a holiday and meet and marry someone where you'd like to live. This solves all sorts of problems at once.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Ban 'im... he posted useful information in General...
            I apologize. What I should have said was:

Oi! Canada's not big enough (even though it is massive) for the contractors who are already there. stay away.

Besides just this week its been -17C with storms on the way. Why would you Spain loving even think of going there?

But at least the education standard is higher..so your kids will be smarter than you. ha ha
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Judging by the Canadian governments' websites the IT industry over there is just as messed up by three letter consultancies as the UK one.

They currently have a rather wonderful way to find just about anyones personal details: just search for them on the passport website.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

What link allows this? I couldn't find myself...

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  What link allows this? I couldn't find myself...
                  This might be what you're looking for;

Linky
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Good luck, it'll be worth it if you get there!
                    Apparently so

Comment

Working...
                    X