• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banks are not a charity - oh yes they are!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks are not a charity - oh yes they are!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007...s.northernrock

Revealed: how UK banks exploit charity tax laws£234bn of mortgages put in trusts supposedly for the benefit of good causes

Britain's high street banks have raised billions of pounds in funds through complex financial deals that use supposedly charitable trusts which are not donating a penny to good causes, the Guardian has learned.

A dozen of the country's best-known banks and financial institutions have raised funds on the back of £234bn-worth of home loans over the past seven years, using trusts which have charitable status but rarely give anything to charity.

Money grabbing, tax dodging barstewards!!!

anyone know how they do this and can my accountant set it up.

Eh ! The article is not from the BBC website !?

Comment

Don't be cheeky.

Banks are putting £200bn in charitable trusts and have never paid a penny to the charity or any tax.

However you are a disguised employee and a tax dodging coont.

HTH

Comment

Have to say I'm shocked, but not surprised. They'll screw anyone to make money.

Down's Syndrome North East, a small charity run by volunteers from a semi-detached house on the outskirts of Newcastle, was told nothing about this and did not receive any money. During the period that Northern Rock was using its name to raise billions of pounds
        Disgraceful. I think they should be forced to pay up.
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Don't be cheeky.

Banks are putting £200bn in charitable trusts and have never paid a penny to the charity or any tax.

However you are a disguised employee and a tax dodging coont.

HTH
          No no no, you've got the wrong man, I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Being friends with Labour really helps when you need that vital profit incrasing loophole.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Its shocking isnt it?

THese same institutes issue warnings on profits being hit if they have to ditch their beloved little weez called account charges YET on the same hand they have no problems what so ever making vast amounts of money through charities that they never actually pay out from!

I say the Government should introduce a new tax!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                Its shocking isnt it?

YET on the same hand they have no problems what so ever making vast amounts of money through charities that they never actually pay out from!

Mailman
                These charities do a lot of good:

Perhaps saving the life of an Iraqi child...

or saving someone from a life of despair, dependent on the state...

or saving someone from a dull career as a pen-pushing bureaucrat.

Tax avoidance just gives you that warm glow of selfless philanthropy.

It's isn't

Comment

With the kind of money going into these "charities" - are they not audited? So that HMRC can figure out if they are just being used to reduce corporation tax from the one - and only - donator.

Must admit my wife has a similar setup. She pays almost her entire profit into this "charity" which she owns, then takes her salary from that, which is most of money that is put it...mind you she does do a LOT of pro bono work.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                    Down's Syndrome North East...
                    Harsh but fair.

Comment

Working...
                    X